1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Under Tailgate Spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Westernman, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Westernman

Westernman Junior Member

i was wondering how the whole thing works , do u fill your dump bed with salt and it dumps in if im wrong correct me would it be a good investment so please leave me your thoughts and how it works ,thank you:nod:

2. WINTER 3

WINTER 3 Member
    from Vermont

An under tailgate spreader mounts to the body of a dump truck. The material being spread is dumped into the spreader by simply raising the box. You would need to either buy a hydralic spreader if you have self contained hydralics or an electric if you don't.

I have 2 undertailgate spreaders (hydralic). One I use as a back up to a hydralic v box I use and another one that came off my old truck and will be sold. I have mixed feelings about this type of spreader. My truck that it is on sits low and the spinner touches the ground if the box is raised too high. Another thing is the whole "raising the box to fill the spreader deal". Driving with the box raised up has a whole set of hazzards and wear issues. Lastly, these spreader will not spread an even path behind your truck. They will spread more to one side or the other depending on placement of the spinner. One good thing is it is very easy to use truck bed (no pull v box out to get load of salt or salt/sand)

You may wand to consider a rts (replacement tailgate spreader). Very close to but also different to an under tailgate spreader

Hope this helps

3. Westernman

Westernman Junior Member

thanks alot