1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Under tailgate spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ahrdscape, Oct 1, 2005.

1. ahrdscape

ahrdscape Junior Member

Any feedback for under tailgate spreaders for dump trucks would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking for a spreader for my new dump and they seem a little cheaper but don't know if its just worth spending the extra dough and getting a V-box.

Thanks in advance NA
  2. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i think a undertailgate sander will work much better. you can fill the hole bed up with salt, you can still use your truck to haul with and dont have to remove the sander. and there is a lot less parts to replace after years of wear and tear.

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

karl klein is right pluse theres no motor that you have to worry about i have had the worst luck with v-box sanders to many moving parts for me. :waving:
  4. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Yep. My new to me truck came with one. I can't wait to use it this year.
  5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I didn't have any luck with my under mount tailgate salter. It is still sitting in the shop for it's 5th year. I found that the salt would not flow into the auger unless the box was more then 1/2 way up. We tried lifting it most of the way up until the salt slid to the back. Then lowered it to 1/2 way and started salting. The salt seemed to run out quickly and then you were raising the box again. It is electric over hydraulic so this is slow. Half way up puts the spinner close to the ground which causes a small pattern. Maybe a vibrator kit would of helped but this was before I found plowsite and knew about these things. I know they sell a tailgate replacement model which would be better because the spinner would be higher and they are dual auger. I now run a dual flow hydraulic V box salter. Yes a lot more money but a lot faster salting. This truck only salts so visibility is not a major concern.
  6. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

you are right about the spinner being low but you should have had a controller on it and been able to increase the spead to throw the salt farther. i like to be able and raise the bed up and shoot the salt under cars it works great for me i also do own a v box and they do work great but there is a ton of stuff to repalce and break.
  7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

We have controls on both the auger and the spinner. I found we were already running the spinner full out. My V box is hydraulic, not to much to go wrong. It is also dual drive.
  8. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

They are great, you will love it..