1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

under tailgate spreader

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by maxwell1027, Feb 8, 2014.

1. maxwell1027

maxwell1027 Junior Member

Good morning! I am thinking about purchasing an under tailgate spreader for my dump bed. I have read a lot about the spreaders with electric controls but I have no experience with them nor do I know anyone that has used one. I was wondering if there is anyone on here that has had any experience with them. I am wondering how well they hold up under them extreme conditions. I also wonder how well the auger motor handles the frozen chunks of salt and debris that gets in the spreader. Any information on these spreaders will be greatly appreciated. Don't hold back...I want to know the good, bad, and ugly on these things!!

2. Poorboys

Poorboys Junior Member

I use hydro driven tailgate spreaders at work. Personally I'm a fan of them. As far as an ele one I don't think it get it done. Only problem I've seen was the load froze solid in close to 0* temps. Wind chill was -20 that night. If the chunks are small it will brake them up. I do keep a 24oz hammer behind my seat so I can bust the really big stuff up.

Doug

3. maxwell1027

maxwell1027 Junior Member

electric under tailgate spreaders

I have always used a hydro in the past and had good luck with them too but I am thinking about buying a truck that doesn't have hydro on it and and considering an electric system....if I hear enough good things about them. Electric wires are easier to replace and repair than hydro hoses and less cost up front not having to buy a pump, valve, hoses and installation. I am wondering though, if an electric motor can handle large chunks of frozen material hour after hour.

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Find my posts on these POS spreaders.

At least for me, I will never buy another.