1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Under tailgate spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by LocalTouch, Sep 18, 2003.

1. LocalTouch

LocalTouch Junior Member
    from Ohio

Hi guys. Need some input from an experience standpoint on under tailgate salt spreaders for dump bodies. I will be purchasing one soon. I would like to know what brands are reliable, and which ones to stay away from. Any input would be great. Also approximate pricing would be helpful if possible. Thanks alot!
  2. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

Eliott,I run under tailgate spreaders on my dump trucks.They are good for sanding streets and parking lots but not good for driveways because the material flows out the one side.Its also good because you can still use the dump with out taking the spreader off.I use all Frink utg spreaders which work really good.Do you have central hydros on the truck?if not they are pretty pricey to get installed.
    If you have anyother questions feel free to Pm me.
  3. wyldman

wyldman Member

I've used Henderson Chief units for years,and little or no problems.Stay away from some of the lighter duty stuff,like the meyers.

Get a direct drive or gearbox driven unit.No chains to mess with.The direct drive can add a fair bit to the width of the unit as the motor sticks out off the side.The gear box model is much more compact.

Also look at getting the separate auger and spinner controls.Some cheaper ones come with a combined unit,and it has no adjustability.
  4. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I would agree with wyldman on the seperate auger and spinner controls. Just from my point of view it would give you greater control on how much and how far you can spread it.For example some narrow location you might want more material spread not as wide and some areas where to nead it spread wide but not as much materal.
  5. wyldman

wyldman Member

The dual controls are a must have.

It's great for loading docks,when you want to throw the salt way down the ramp without backing down it,or getting it under cars.Just crank up the spinner speed.

It works the opposite for laneways,or low spots that tend to refreeze.You can drop the spinner speed way down,and crank the auger to lay it down heavy and narrow.