1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Under tailgate spreader plumbing ......HELP!!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Superior L & L, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I have a 2002 Chevy 6500 with a cat motor and a Allison trans. I found out today that it has a "hot shot" pto to power the dump. We are looking to mount and power a spreader with it. the dealer said when we come to a stop the spreader will stop or if we slow down to make a turn the spinner will slow down and not put as much down on the corners. I figure i can live with this since it saves $2000 by not having a separate fan belt pto. Im looking for some feed back from anyone that has used this style of sytem and also to see if anyone has any input or help on my installing it myself

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If you run a clutch pump it will still slow down when you make turns or back off the accerator. We have a few places that are down hill. When we salt these we put the truck in neutral and rev it up a bit.

Hope this helps. I don't know what a hot shot is.

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Either do I but we have run lots of tranny pumps and IMO you want them to stop spreading when you stop. With a tranny pump it's sometimes a little difficult to change gears when the pump is running but other then that they work great for parking lot use.

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry I read your post wrong. I thought you were considering a clutch pump. Most of the plumbing should be pretty easy. You need to get plumbing into the cab for the controllers.

How much do they want for the install?

5. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

The price was'nt broke out. It was $4200 for the clutch pump system plus $2800 for the ss spreader or $2200 plus the $2800 for them to retrofit our existing system.
    It seams like $2200 to put the controller in the cab and run three hoses to the back of the truck is a lot of money. But im not a hydro install guy, so what do i know

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

A few years ago I bought a truck that had a clutch pump system on it. I bought a new salter and had to run the hoses to the front on the truck. I "T" the return line so I had to buy 1 larger line and two 1/2" lines with all the fittings. I can't remember how long they were but they cost $850 for the parts.

7. snowplease

snowplease Junior Member
    from pa

hotshift pto

hello i was wondering if you decided on a system for you truck i have the same truck and pto and its hard to get any info anywhere about central hydraulics i was thinking to use the same pump as my dump just get a larger tank from northern and a spreader valve
    and was wondering if you figured it out yet so far i found out i need a 15 gallon tank for cooling a spreader valve thanks

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Missed this one Paul.

Did you get it figured out?

What tranny?

9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Do you know where I can get the bracket to mount a underhood clutch pump. I have been told they are not available for my 2001, C6500 with a Cat 3126.

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  11. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

:drinkup:I will look into those, thanks.