1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Under tailgate spreader ideas

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Flipper, May 25, 2013.

1. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I recently picked up aother truck. F350 C&C 7.3 6 spd. It has a PTO hydraulic pump with a single valve that operates the dump cylinder. Pump is powerful, I have lifted far more then the truck can legally carry. My question is that I have a hydraulic undertailgate spreader from a previous truck. It has dual motors. Should I put a spreader valve setup and lines in the truck or should I just convert the spreader to electric? Never ran one off transmission PTO, I have run the hydraulic spreader off belt driven setups.

2. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I don't think you can run the pto while driving.There's a rpm range that's to low to use while moving.You would have to use a central hydro unit$$
  3. fireside

fireside Senior Member

Yes you can run a pto when driving. You will need to get a whats called a hot shift unit. You can turn the unit on under 900 rpm than it can be run when you are driving with no problems. They are used in the fire service all the time. As for cost they run around 400 to 500.
  4. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

5. LON

LON Senior Member

From the sounds of it you will need to see if your single valve is capable of having a power beyond sleeve installed. If it is a Parker/Gresen V20 valve it can accept a sleeve. There are a few issues with this set-up. Pumps running off the trans are known for making the trans difficult to shift while running as the pump "stalls" the gears and doesn't allow for synchro-meshing. The other is the stopping of the spreader running when the spool is shifted to raise the body. This happens because the oil is directed to the cylinder and away from the power port. Steady hands allowing the spool to only shift a small amount to slowly raise the body will keep the spreader running but will take practice.