1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

under tailgate salter for F550

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by green ace, Sep 19, 2013.

1. green ace

green ace Junior Member

I have a f550 coming in a few weeks and am contemplating if i should get a slide in or an under tailgate salter. Anyone have experience with the latter?
  2. Bird21

Bird21 Senior Member

Get a Electric V box

save the truck and dump body

We switched to all Vbox over the past years, easier clean up, keeps the salt from getting blasted under the truck, and limits the possible dump box raised hitting stuff scenario.

just what works for us
  3. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

UTG spreaders are awesome for having full use of your bed year round.

Lower center of gravity, ability to carry more product than a V-box.

They both have their place, I have 2 of each.

SNOMACHINE Senior Member

I have both vee box & under tailgate spreaders. I added a stainless Swenson electric under tailgate spreader last year and I love it! It preforms just as my hydraulic units do! I would recommend it to anyone. And I can utilize my dump trucks year round.
  5. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

I plowed for a friend last year that has a F550 with snow ex tail gate salter. Worked great, throws salt well, I just had to get used to putting the bed up on occasion to get the salt to the back. Having the full capacity of the bed and less weight than a v box is always nice, and doesn't take much to take the unit off the back as well.
  6. green ace

green ace Junior Member

Have any of you guys put a vibrator on the dump bed with a UT salter?
  7. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

Yes. The one I ran had a vibrator on it.