1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

under tail gate spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Precision Lawn, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Precision Lawn

Precision Lawn Senior Member

I'm looking for info on a under the tailgate spreader for a ford 450 or 550
    I see that western no longer are making them
    Need suggests what to buy

Thanks

2. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I bought a Henderson this fall works like a charm! I paid a little to much ($2700.00 about) and another $3500 +/- for the fanbelt hydraulics. You can buy the spreader from angelos in Michigan for about $2000.00

3. LON

LON Senior Member

If it were me I'd look at a Replacement Tailgate Spreader such as this http://www.henderson-mfg.com/rts1.htm in 304SS. All of the small trucks with an under-tailgate spreader have problems with dragging the spinner on the ground and the RTS gives 11" more road clearance IIRC.
    Lon

4. salopez

salopez Senior Member

henderson is great.
    look at frink of flink too...they are both nice. I am happy with my swenson.
    Frank i am guessing you have hydro already, you can look at down easter too.

5. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

how do u find out if the replacable tailgate wil fit the body you have???

6. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

On My F-450 I think that it is plenty high, I'm not saying this is true in all applications but I don't think i would want it any higher. I find that in a crowded parking lot it really helps to be able to throw it under the cars.

plowsite.JPG

7. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

are those hydraulically ran? I need one just like the one above, but electric or gas, since I dont have central hydros. If that is, what brand, I need one asap

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

That salter above is only hydraulic run. I have seen a few electric from Truck Craft and it was around $5,000. If you are going to keep the truck, central hydraulics are the best. I also agree on the tailgate replacement model, it is the only one I would consider. We run 2 salters with central hydraulics but they both have Swenson V box salters.