1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Under Hood Hydro

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lazer Man, Nov 21, 2001.

1. Lazer Man

Lazer Man Senior Member
    from SW Pa.

I am close to purchasing a newer truck, a '94 Chevy 3500 w/ a Fisher 8' straight plow that has the hydro's that runs off the truck engine is this a good or bad set up. I have not had any experience with this type of system.

2. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Been running it that way for years. I like it

3. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

In some ways I wish everything still had belt driven pumps.

No need to worry about electric pumps, high out put alternators, double batteries, ect. Belt driven was easy to fix, just too much stuff had to be cramed under the hood. If there was more room under the hood in todays trucks, I bet we would still have belt driven as an option.

The only bad part with belt driven was it was slow till the fluid warmed up. That and the belt had to be installed and removed, unless you had a clutch set up.

I would buy the truck, feel lucky you have the belt drive set up.

Geoff

4. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Ditto! I love mine. Go for it. Good luck.

5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Belt drive hydro are about as bullet proof as you can get. I have one on an 84 chevy and it still runs perfect.
    Dino

6. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

belt driven is the way to go. Monarch Hy-lo's, I ran them for years with never a pump problem. did have a problem with the gates 2210 belt breaking from time to time or slipping on the pulley from the jeep 12v GENERATOR that drove it, but solved that problem sliding the pump forward on the genny and by getting a larger belt to go around the pump and generator as one unit. ran that set up for years and years without a problem.

Belt drive eliminates electrical problems due to load, battery, control solenioids, and a host of other stuff you don't need to break at 3 am. When you are out there all alone in the middle of a blizzard and no one could get to you, you want simple and reliable, and that is what belt drive is.

7. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

To Bad plow manufactures couldn't find a way to still produce belt drive.

I know they are out there listing to us on Plowsite

Geoff

8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Has Fisher totally done away with it??? I know they still had it after the Minute Mounts came out. Maybe smaller pumps and remote resevoirs would improve the chances.