1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Under hood hydraulics question

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Mpirani, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Mpirani

Mpirani Junior Member

Should the control cables be the same exact length to connect to the hydraulic unit from the cab 4 way controller on this set up. I bought a second hand plow and have it 100% installed and I am having a hell of a time getting the controls correct. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

basicly length of cable its self is for keeping as stright as possible with min bends and if bends huge arc to not kink or bind it.

but each one should be ajusted to the valve it controls.

i set mine years ago and still working fine. never adjusted yet since install. Thumbs Up
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What type of truck? We had an old 77 Chevy and we mounted the valve on the inside fender driver side.They do need to be as straight as possible or the cable will break.
  4. Mpirani

Mpirani Junior Member

It is a 2004 1500 I custom fabbed the system to I wound up buying some 40" cablesand was able to get the controls operational the original owner had a 33 and a 30 cable I don't know how he made it work I couldn't not enough adjustment in 3 inches.
  5. Mpirani

Mpirani Junior Member

Wow punctuation helps doesn't it. Sorry posting from the phone punctuation gets lost in the shuffle sometimes.

In any case. I wound up by installing 40" control cables and the adjustments to the valve body were very simple. I now just need to come up with a better system for mounting the drive sheave. It works fine in the yard but I am hesitant to take it out on the road.

I am driving it off the power steering pump. I need to get an extended bolt that will accommodate my drive sheave and provide me with a more solid attachment than the set screw being used currently.

thanks for the responses guys.