1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

under bed ballast?? / spare tire ballast??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BigGuyRye, Nov 13, 2010.

1. BigGuyRye

BigGuyRye Junior Member

Has anyone ever tried to mount their ballast under the bed of a truck in any way? I need the space in the back of my truck for the four wheeler w/plow, ramps, shovels, and plow wings but still need about 200-300 lbs of weight back there. Any suggestions? Thanks!
  2. avc8130

avc8130 Member

I wonder if you could mount some body building weights using the spare tire area. That would be a neat idea.

How much tongue weight is your hitch rated for? Could you add some weight on a rack in the hitch?
  3. BigGuyRye

BigGuyRye Junior Member

I have thought of both ideas. I'm wondering how much weight the spare tire harness can hold? I don't want to use the hitch idea because it's just not practical for my needs.

I have thought of removing the spare tire completely, then installing stacked 1"x6" plate steel beams (like cutting edges) in between the frame rails under the bed of my 05 2500hd until the desired weight is achieved. Although I'm questioning how to safely mount something like that. Thanks for your reply!
  4. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

in my experience the spare tire holder is barely strong enough to hold a spare tire. Maybe a tank of some sort, like a suburban tank that mounts back between the rails. You could fill it with water then drain it when you don't need the weight. Probably wouldn't freeze unless it sat overnight, plowing would be enough motion to keep it from freezing. Or a little anti-freeze or something if you wanted to leave it in for longer.
  5. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

I don't think you would want to put anymore weight on the spare tire cable mechanism than what it is designed for. I did look at an Chevy S10 plow truck once. The guy had actually poured concrete in the area behind the rear fenderwells (inside the bed) and the tailgate. I thought this was a pretty good idea since this space isn't really utilized much anyway. I'm not sure what secured it. Maybe he cured a few bolts into the concrete.
  6. Holland

Holland Senior Member

depending on your budget, get some 1 inch steel plate and lay it down in the bed. wouldnt really change the fourwheeler being able to put in the back. just drive it on top the plate. that and it prolly woulnt take much to get to 300lbs. be alot easier to remove in the spring. just an idea.
  7. bradt

bradt Junior Member
    from NW MN

Here's what I do (did):
    Get a handful of 2x4s, a couple sheets of plywood and some screws. Measure the length of your bed and the width between the fenders. Cut your dimensional lumber to your numbers and screw them together in a frame with the lumber on edges, then, cut the plywood to the frame size. Screw one sheet of plywood onto the frame then slide the frame into your bed; go to a gravel pit and fill your frame with gravel (class 5 is best) or sand (you can also buy those sand tubes and empty them into the frame). Now, screw the plywood on top of the frame and you're good to go. At season's end, remove the top sheet of plywood and empty the frame and store the frame and plywood for next year.
    You won't lose any bed space, aside from height, and it's easily removeable with one person and is relatively cheap.
  8. BigGuyRye

BigGuyRye Junior Member

Thanks, for the suggestions..i like hollands idea with the plate.
  9. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

or do what I do, go to a bulk material retailer, back under the ten yard loader and get a couple tons of mix for the spreader. I have a bumper mount spreader that I normally take off, but leave the mix on for weight, wrapped in a tarp
  10. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Except he needs the room in the bed of the truck. He'd look funny driving around with four wheeler parked in the back on top of a yard and a half of mix...... just saying lol
  11. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

that wouldnt scream REDNECK with his 4 wheeler parked ontop, although it would be entertaining getting it up there!:laughing: