1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Undecided on wich blade to get...

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Sartorikid, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Sartorikid

Sartorikid Junior Member

I will be picking up a new Fisher in the next couple of weeks. I have to decide between extreme-v, x-blade or hd. SS or Steel? 81/2' for f350. Any input will help...

2. JD304H

JD304H Junior Member

I've had a v-plow on my last three trucks and love it, the older EZ-V style. If you have lots where you can't windrow to one side or you have to carry the snow to specific areas its well worth it, if you're doing roads i probably wouldn't waste your money on a v-plow. As for stainless steel or not, i've never owned a stainless steel blade, i just hose off a couple of times during the winter and before i put it away for the season and have never had a steel one rot out yet. Actually i'm setting up another truck with a v-plow thats 11 years old and besides scrathes and paint chips, it is still solid. Good luck, hope my two cents helps.

3. Sartorikid

Sartorikid Junior Member

Thanks JD...

4. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

Go with the V, once you go V you will never go back.

5. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I have never used a V plow but, I know if I had one I would never go back to a strait blade.

6. Sartorikid

Sartorikid Junior Member

unhcp nice web site you have there. I notice you have 9.5' on a f 350. Is that a dually? I wanted to put a 9.5' on mine and fisher told me it was to heavy.

7. unhcp

It was a single rear wheel with upgrading front spings and air bags. I actually never plowed with it! I got it in the spring and just sold it a few weeks ago.

8. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

That isn't always the case....................

9. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Put an xls on it and be done with it.

10. Sartorikid

Sartorikid Junior Member

I decided on the extreme-v. Now I have to decide on the 8'6" or 9'6". I will be doing mostly drive ways and one small lot.

11. unhcp

Probably go with the 8'6" plenty big enough and small enough for all lots

12. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd go with a 9'6" especially if you do lots. There are times where I'm wishing I had wings on mine (which would make my plow over 11' wide), and I still may get them this season. Unless you have some very tight spaces to get through, definitely go 9'6", I do both drives and a private road and never have a problem due to being too big.

13. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

If money was no object, I'd sell my western, and buy an 8.6 extreme V stainless. Not because it won't rust, but it would look great on my truck. After watching the video on their website about how they compared it to boss v plow, I'm sold on it. Now all it takes is some money....

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  14. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I have the 8.6 also and it is great for drives and lots. 9.6 can get tight on narrow drives in my area. But if they are wider then get the 9.6. it is heavy but will move a lot of snow.

15. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Read a little deeper into those videos that have been discussed in great detail on here, you'd be surprised...

16. KDB33

KDB33 Junior Member

I will be picking up a new 8.6 extreme-v in the next couple weeks. I am going with the SS. Is there any special care I should do to prevent it from rusting do to all the salt on the roads. I believe they are made with 304 stainless so its not the best stuff but it's still better than steel in my opinion. What do you guys do? Fluid Film?