1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unclear plates ticket while transporting salter?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Watch out yelow, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Watch out yelow

Watch out yelow Member

The other day i recieved a ticket for unclear plates because my salter covered the back one (fisher low pro 1000 hitch mount). Pick-up has commercial plates flashing lights etc. I usually take it off after each use but was on my way back from salting a lot. And no i dont feel like hangin the plate off the salter. Am i just getting my balls busted by this town cop?... something tells me when we perform a service like this some respect should be given. If anyone knows how i can fight back please let me know.
  2. ynvvbr

ynvvbr Member

Well your screwed, lol. I got 3 in one night from 2 cops and a state trooper, same truck. I took the plat eoff and mounted below my bumper With the light and everything. It sucks but as it was told to me the law is the law. All I know is they better not call me for any snow removal:)
  3. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

the bast thing to do would b to move the plate. i think that the cop was being a bit picky. i plowed for a whole season before realizing i had forgotten to renew my tabs no cop ever looked twice. alto one time i got a ticket cause the stock(from factory) in bumper hitch restricted the rear license plate's visibility. go figure. he gave me a ticket cause of a 2" trailer ball. WTF?

not really a way to fight this one since the law is clear that the rear and front(in some states) must be in plane view at all times of vehicle operation.
  4. ProfessionalTou

ProfessionalTou Junior Member

My license plate get covered with snow every storm.I have a swing away fisher 2000 with a hitch mount.The snow wedges between the spreader and the license plate.Nobody's bothered me yet.We clear a police impound lot too.Hopefully this post doesn't jinx me
  5. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

I would take it to court and fight it. Thats bull and no judge in his right mind should hold that up.
  6. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

Do you do any work for the town or state government? If not, they won't let you get away with it. I had the same problem basically when I had my license plate behind my plow hitch. And it always depends on the cop. My town knew where my license plate was and said that's fine, I drive in the next town and they pull me over.
  7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

A lot of small towns always have slow crime nights so they have nothing better to do then traffic stops.
    They go on fishing expeditions after the bars close looking for drunk drivers too.
    " Your tail light was flickering sir" -- "Oh, do I smell alcohol?" --- "Have you been drinking sir?"
    My brother drove around with 1 headlight and no exhaust,for a year and never got stopped in my bigger city.
  8. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

only way to make a difference is to contest the ticket. Who knows, you may get lucky and get a judge with more sense than the cop. When I was working patrol, during a snowfall and for a couple days afterwards, almost every motor vehicle stop called in anywhere in the county was just the location and vehicle description, followed by "plate obscured". Most you could ever do is tell someone they should clear off their plate. Then they look at you like you have three heads, and you have to explain why, which they still don't understand, so by the time you're done with them you wish you hadn't stopped them in the first place. And that's when you stopped them for something else, I never heard of a cop stopping someone for obscured license plates after a snowfall. I can't imagine how slow they must be to stop you and write a ticket for that. They should at least give you an opportunity to correct it. Even though I worked for a small town, anytime it snowed I had no time whatsoever to stop cars, between handling all the accident reports, on top of the regular calls. Plus any cop will tell you that it makes sense to minimize traffic stops when roads are bad, shoulders not plowed back, etc, etc. I don't even give a rat's behind about license plates, if we could just convince these idiots the importance of clearing the snow off the roof of their vehicle. Always heard "well I can't reach it", or "it'll blow off anyway" Oblivious to the fact that after sitting on a minivan or suv with a huge roof, getting heated and cooled, it gets hard then comes off in big chunks that can and do cause accidents.
    These cops that are busting your cookies are more than likely rookies that haven't settled down yet, or are having a contest with one another to see how many tickets they can write. Plus, I remember from the police academy an instructor telling us to stop plow trucks because the guys are often drinking. I objected to this and told him that if I drank when I plowed I'd never be able to stay awake for the long hours it took for my route to be completed. Conversely, since then I have seen plow operators drinking, usually the guys who can't do anything without drinking.
  9. S-10 Plower

S-10 Plower Senior Member

What about when you are towing your trailers in the summer if the cop is right behind you he can read your plate unless in is a low riding mesh side trailer and then i think it would be hard to read. that cop is just trying to make his minimum ticket level.

10. daninline

daninline Senior Member

This is what I would do is fight it and fix it.
    Fix it and take it to the court date or have a photo of it fixed to show the court that you were willing to fix the problem.

I try to clean my plate off all the time and have the front one on the plow frame mount.

I guess the law is the law
  11. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

You are definately getting your balls busted!!!--contest it!, but you may lose more than a days pay!!!--is the plate partially obscure--can half the plate be seen? if so take a pic to court---50/50 shot!!!! I'd move the plate before the next storm!!!!!!!!!!!!
  12. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

check the laws in nebraska commerical vehicles are only required to have a front plate
  13. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

Your Truck is only running 11:40's with a 514?, I would think you should be running low ten's atleast. What parts do you have in that motor. Is it a 460 60 over.
  14. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Alaska isues 2 plates, Front and back, I leave the back one in place and mount the front one on the sander or in the back window. That way no mater weather you are loaded or not the plate can be seen. You could also make your own plate with the correct numbers on it and post it in view. Bet that would pass in most states. Don't try to fight it just adapt to what is required. The attempt to be legal will get you out of most tickets.
  15. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Yea, it is a load of crap but the fact of the matter is that the law is the law. Just because it's a bad law doesn't give a judge the right to overlook it.
  16. JTW

JTW Senior Member

I would move the plate before you go to court. Showing the judge that you rectaifed the problem will probably be the only chance you have of getting out of the ticket.
  17. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

It's petty, but it's the law. The point on what do you do when you are towing a trailer is a good one - but in Ohio you can pull construction (field offices) without plates on the tow vehicle - and the cop can't see the truck plates.. same when a semi is pulling twins.. the dolly blocks the truck plates... seems that the officers would have just a bit more concern about public safety. But tell that to the cop who gave me a ticket for going 46 in a 45 zone.. he had just gotten out of the academy!

Life ain't fair, but who said it had to be?
  18. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

go to court

If you get a ticket and you think it is a bad law or cop gave it to you in error fight it. This is how you keep your rights.

I was pulled over one night plowing and given a ticket which I felt was wrong. I fought it and won. Then I pressed charges against the 2 officers. I won. The officers were really out of line.

You cant allow someone to steal your rights. We all pay for freedom weather it is over seas or here in our land. In life there is always someone trying to take away your rights.

19. Cutting Edge Kid

Cutting Edge Kid Senior Member

Well, I happen to be a cop here in Chicago. One thing that is ALWAYS evident is smaller communities is that fact that a major portion of the town's revenue is driven through traffic enforcement. I'm sorry! but I don't call that being "The Police". It's B.S.! You are an honest man, trying to make an honest living, attempting to make horrible conditions safer for others. IF I WERE YOU...I would take several pictures of State, County, and Municipal DOT plow trucks during a snow event. Make sure that you have the date and time stamped on the picture. Show the judge that MOST vehicles during and after a storm DON'T have the license plate clearly visible. To top it off, a a squad car from that jurisdiction with an obscured plate during or immediately after a snow event. All that you are proving is that "It happens"! and that the cop was f*#king with you! Just my opinion!:angry:
  20. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The gun and the badge goes to a lot of these guys heads. Till they get some years under their belts they are going to play "BIG BAD COP". The "burbs" cops have nothing better to do then stop people and give out tickets.
    You plead "not guilty" in the Mayors court and it gets kicked to the regular courts. Some times the officer does not show up and it gets dropped.
    If it's BS you can fight it and win.