1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

uncle bobs storage

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by clark lawn, Oct 26, 2007.

1. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

anyone plow any of these? they just faxed me over the specs and requirements and i dont think i want anything to do with it.One issue is they want topay per push but you have to move snow off site at every event,so i would have a bobcat commeted for a season and no garuntee of any work, screw that. The whole packet is three pages long and everything iv read is pretty much able to be used to screw over the contractor. Maybe im just reading into it to much. Anyone have any insight on this?

2. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

it amazes me some of the specs people come up with. I had a bank send me specs one time in which they stated they would remburse the acctual cost for ice melt. file 13

3. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i had a university like this too...it ened up costing them about double what i would have charged without the spec documents.

4. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

I am doing one this season, They wanted a seasonal price. No snow off site. They wanted a price per hour for removal off site at the request of the manager. They also want salt on request. I took care of one for lawn care this year and have the chance to bid on three others. They have been good at paying as well.

5. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

I did a tough one last season. There was one snow gate in the rear and it had a ten foot drop. Also all three lanes sloped down to the rear with a pretty steep incline. The manager told me that he has a hard time finding good service and you could see why. I gave him real good service on the first snow event (11 in) and after that I was able to dictate what his property needed and he mainly agrees.
    I like to plow them now mainly with a truck and a skid steer. I bid on three more this year that experienced bad service last year. If you like to get in and out of properties, than these might not be for you. good luck

6. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

I bid on a self storage facility for three years and lost it every time. On the fourth year I finally got a phone call saying I won. An hour later I got 20 pages of faxes and the stuff they wanted was ridiculous. They wanted on site equipment, trucks with a maximun of being 5 years old or newer, all kinds of insurance and work comp and disability insurance that was never discussed. After reading their list I told them that I would be in the hole if I complied with their list and that I wasn't interested.

The sad part is that after I bid (and won) I was given all this extra stuff that the manager never went over when he asked me to bid. If I was shown all that stuff in the first place I would have bid more or not even wasted my time to price it out.

Not worth the trouble to do it, better to back out early. Now I ask for the original contract on every job before bidding. It sucks I wasted 4 years of bidding, but at least I learned from it! :dizzy:

7. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

man NJ that's a bunch of bull