1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unbeleivable employee's

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Today we got enough snow to plow in places and definetly shovel sidewalks. 5:18 am called my sidewalk guy, "hey John I need ya, its coming down pretty good" his reply, "well I have to take my wife to her doctor apot. at 9am so I cant do it" My reply, "its only 5 in the morning, you cant even give me a couple hours?" his reply,"no sorry kid" Well I JUST got of the phone with him again,(I'm at work now) he went and did the places he was supposed to do WTF! I dont know employee's drive me "nukinfuts"!:realmad: :dizzy: :confused: :cry:

2. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

That is exactly why I try to do it allmyself.But in a larger scale, I know it is impossible.
    Wish you the best of luck!

3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Replace him, its not hard to find good sidewalk guys. I always liked using high school kids. The money is good for them, they are reliable because they have no other job or wives, and they don't mind missing school.

4. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

his reply,"no sorry kid"

i wouldve fired him just for that comment :realmad:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  5. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

The money better be AWESOME if I'm getting out of bed to shovel sidewalks. Sidewalks don't stop people from getting where they need to go.

Not plowing a p-lot, or something serious like that, then yes, I'd say start looking for another employee. But, sidewalks are a luxury. Iif he's typically willing to shovel sidewalks, keep him.

BTW, if he's older than you, then what's wrong with calling you "kid"? Just curious.

6. Brian Young

No I don't mind him calling me "kid" he's only 10 yrs or so older than me. I think we are paying good money ($15.00/hr) for our area thats seems to be really good money.

7. Brian Young

I wish I could (let him go) but I can not seem to find any one worth a crap! The one guy I found lost his driver's license and no ride, he's supposed to be taking his test again this week so we'll see. But he still doesn't have any wheels and I shouldn't and don't have time to pick him up.

8. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

He didn't think he could make it, then did make it, and you are WTF'ing.

Unbelieveable Employers.

9. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

maybe im an ass for a boss but i demand respect from someone that i pay and if my employee called me kid it would be an insult to me whether he be older or younger. i dont need a "yes sir no sir" but i do have a name, use it. i will not belittle my employees and i treat them fair so i expect the same respect from them.

10. Brian Young

Obviously you don't have any accounts that are demanding on when they get cleared or the repercussions that ensue after the fact. So if one of your guys said he has to take his wife to a doctor apt at 9am and you called him at 5am and he couldn't go, you wouldn't be a little pissed? And the fact that he never called to tell me he was able to come out, and he just came out and did it all on his own wouldn't tick you off? Yes I'm glad they got done but thats not point here, I didnt hire him to be a "freelance" sidewalk guy that thinks he can just do it whenever he feels like it. Until you get accounts that are worth a crap and have certain demands I dont think you should be spouting off words like "Unbelievable employers"

11. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Seems to me that you and your shoveler have a little communication problem. You need to get together with him and discuss this and iron out the problem. He sounds like he is trusting and worth keeping. From what I have read, I get the feeling that he knows you are his boss, but feels a little superior to you because he is older. This needs to be addressed so you don't have the same situation happening again.Just a friendly snow conversation over a cup of coffee is all it will take.

12. Brian Young

ECS you nailed it! I called him back to see how it was going and I told him almost those same word's. I just told him we need to talk about of few things.

13. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Keep him! He probably thought about it after he told you no and realized that you were counting on him. This shows me that he has a conscience and its hard to find employees like that these days.

14. BobC

BobC Senior Member

Brian I noticed you said you were at work now 2nd time you called him. What happens when it snows while you are working. Do you customers have to wait? Just curious how you handle it.

15. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Yeah, good call. I agree. I didn't think of it quite that way. I guess "kid" is a little derogatory.

16. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah thats a tough one...

17. Brian Young

Yes I do work a 7-3 mon-fri job. I sub out certain accounts during the hours of 6am-330pm and my sidewalk guys are 24/7, or so it seemed,lol.

18. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Christ sakes. He's an under the table part time snow shoveler who lets not forget...got the job done, and if all you have is four hours work then you should be shoveling your own in my opinion.

Your coffee will still be in the truck when you get back in Brian.

Comon.

19. Snaaar

Snaaar Member

When you're under the gun, one hour is an eternity, let alone four hours.

If my sidewalk guy treated me that way (calling me kid, blowing me off, then doing the work w/out calling) I would boil over. But as ECS said, it would be wise to make the most of this resource (the sidewalk guy), keep your cool, and talk it over.

If he f*s you again, I'd dump the guy in a flash.

20. Added Touch

Added Touch Member

What is a Sidewalk Guy?

I know what you must be thinking... I know he/they shovel sidewalks, but curious how this works for most of you. I am imagining you have a number of clients where you plow, then these sidewalk guys goin at a later tile and do the detail cleanup and sidewalks?

Thanks,

Tom