1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unable to press lift ram down

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by tigers2007, Nov 17, 2014.

1. tigers2007

tigers2007 Junior Member
    from Detroit

I recently bought an old Chevy with a Unimount. The previous owner advised me that when disconnecting the plow, I should press the lift ram down so the chrome doesn't rust. I can't press this thing down even when standing on it. Am I supposed to have someone hold the joystick down when I'm doing that? Or when the system is off, should it allow me to press it down? Everything else seems to work fine. I doubt the previous owner ever did any maintenance.
  2. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

With power ON tap down button, leave power ON, get out n push ram down, THEN power off
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Usually hold the joystick for a hot second or two, then as said leave power on and then get out to push down
  4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If you have a joystick controller it should automatically go into float mode when you hit down. That means the blade will go all the way down (and the down valve remains open) as long as the power is left on. With a handheld controller you need to hold the down button until the green "float" light comes on. Then you can walk to the front and push the lift frame so the ram collapses. If you have flow-stat hydraulic unit it should go easy but if you have the Isarmatic (ram is cast right into the hydro unit) then there is a compression type gland nut or "packing nut" which can be over tightened making the ram difficult to push down.
  5. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

on a unimount you also want it in float and push the ram down so that you can unhook the plow. For me it's easier to push the chain sideways with my foot than it is to push down on the lift channel.
  6. tigers2007

tigers2007 Junior Member
    from Detroit

You were right on the money. It worked. Before I was trying to do it with the engine/key turned off. All is good! Thank you!