1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultramount2 lift arm height & wing options?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jimmycrackcorn, Dec 4, 2015.

1. jimmycrackcorn

jimmycrackcorn Member
    from boston

Hello,
    Instead of starting a vs vs vs vs so on & so on thread, I'll make it a little more specific.

I'm about to buy a 8.6 MVP3 over the more dealer populated Fisher & Boss options in my area.

When trying to make an apples to apples comparison of the MVP3 to the XV2, I notice that lift arms on the two are at two different heights. The Fisher is higher, Western looks about a few inched lower. Does the Western use a shorter lift Ram?

I know the truck mounts are different & that is really the sole reasoning of going with the MVP3 over the XV2. I like how you can remove the receivers & not have them hanging down in the off season. I also think the Mount looks more user friendly with the big hooks instead of pins on the mm2/mm1 system.

So Mount system is a plus in my book but now I'm noticing that the lift arm is different so I'm wondering if the stacking height is gong to be affected too. I know it's a chain so the ram doesn't limit the height but, just wondering if there is a compromise I should be aware of with it being in a lower position.

Let's see if I can understand the difference in the lift arms.. Correct me where I'm wrong.
    If the Ram's are the same length & pinned in below at the same height off the assembly, then in essense the lift arm would just end up being in a more advanced angle when up compared to the Fisher, right? Both would lift the same? I want to be able to lift the plow as high as possible to avoid issue in the future if I add wings & want to v driving down the road.

Are they're any other differences I should be aware of?

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Look where the chains connect,

When stacking I can see the bottom of my cutting edges,MVP3.

Height doesn't really matter when driving, the tips will still be the same height, mines 11-4 and have no problem/care when driving.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  3. jimmycrackcorn

jimmycrackcorn Member
    from boston

OK.. Hang on.

4. jimmycrackcorn

jimmycrackcorn Member
    from boston

I see what your talking about.. Fisher arm is higher but attachment is lower on the hanger. Western is lower, but attachment point is above the arm.

I also just noticed the two different styles of steel stock in the head gear, fisher has squared tubed, western has flat stock. The pumps, or at least the pump housings seem to be different too. Does that mean the pumps/solonoids are in different locations? Why was I under the impression that only the mounts were different?

Here's a question, if my needs change & have the need for something like a XLS with the trip edge, will the Western fleet flex wiring work with Fisher? (I know the mounts won't)..

5. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

The pump assemblies themselves are identical. They're just turned ninety degrees from the Western to the Fisher due to the way they are mounted.

Yes. And the controller as well.

6. 1olddogtwo

The only thing you'll need to change is the mount.

7. jimmycrackcorn

jimmycrackcorn Member
    from boston

Oh really.. Cool man...Cool.! That's great to know!

Now onto my next questions.

On the MVP Plus & the original XV, EZ-V or whatever their called the wing extension kit looks as if its designed to be at a more aggressive forward degree than what is put out for the MVP3 & the XV2. Is that just the picture angles they are taken at or is there a difference.

Another compromise I'm making with this selection is I really want a XLS, but this year I'm just getting back into plowing & will be subbed to a friend. I will be on his clock during the storm & anything that I acquire this year for accounts will have to be "post storm accounts". Now if this years snow is anything last winter here in the Northeast, I'm gunna have a handful of accounts in a hilly area with 1ft - 2ft of wind blown snow because of that. I remember trying to do 1-2ft of snow on hills with an 8-6mm1 straight blade & it was not fun at all. Not efficient by any means. Push off to the side, push off to the side, push off to the side.... I figure next year if i have enough accounts to go solo & I have the need for a bigger plow (for lots etc), I can just add some wings, or upgrade to the XLS & just keep up with the storms, hence not always having the 1-2ft scenario. I know its not always gunna be that scenario, I just don't like setting myself up for more work, even if its only once & a while.

8. 1olddogtwo

Flat top Vee's are only add 6ins and the flared add about a foot. I would say the both have the same stand off from the blade.

Flat top (wings) are much weaker in design, least most would say that.

XLS are great to big wide open lots.

9. jimmycrackcorn

jimmycrackcorn Member
    from boston

Oh.. I wasn't aware of that.. The MVP/XV2 wings do look wider, I just thought it was the forward angle fooling me.

So what your saying is, I can count on a foot on each side? Essentially making a 8.6 > 10.6? Woooo.. That might be too much, Idk.. That's one of the main reasons I steered away from the boss, the add on wings were gunna make it too huge.

That's right, I've heard about the MVP Plus / XV being weaker, that's to bad they don't just improve the weak points & keep it as an option because I really dont feel as if I need the crazy flared blade. It just seems to be the standard by which all else is judged so why buy inferior products.

10. 1olddogtwo

I had them on my Vee, I can destroy everything and I never had a problem with them. My 9-6 is 11-4 with.

IMG_20151129_143908576_HDR.jpg

11. jimmycrackcorn

jimmycrackcorn Member
    from boston

Oh wait, are you talking about the MVP Plus wings being weaker or the plow? I've heard the flatops whole setup is weaker. Is that true, or one guy on the internet who had a bad experience so now all of them are bad.. I haven't been around these V's long enough to know the ins & outs.

12. jimmycrackcorn

jimmycrackcorn Member
    from boston

Holy crap! That thing is wiiiiiide!

13. 1olddogtwo

The plus is a good plow, the wings not so much.

The new flared are better and wings are much beefier.

IMG_20151129_143931315_HDR.jpg

14. jimmycrackcorn

jimmycrackcorn Member
    from boston

How do you maneuver in driveways? Or you all commersh.

I swear my AAM dodge front axle would snap in two with that much on it & if that didn't break, my power steering would & if that didn't break, my ball joints would fall out.. Either way, my 06 Dodge would not be happy!

15. jimmycrackcorn

jimmycrackcorn Member
    from boston

I know ... I know.. Only couple hundred in the difference..

Deff a stout rig you have.

From what I hear, the wings are relatively simple to get on & off?

16. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

He's all commercial.

17. jimmycrackcorn

jimmycrackcorn Member
    from boston

Do any of you think an 8.6 MVP3 with wings will make an really versitile rig? Or will I regret the additional wings when backdragging away from garage doors. How far out from the face of the plow do they protrude?

Just out of curiosity, with the exception of Snowdogg does anyone make a stainless extension wing?