1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultramount won't move!

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by joeco129, Dec 10, 2009.

1. joeco129

joeco129 Senior Member

We had our first plowable snow yesterday and the plow was fine. At the end of my residential schedule I noticed it started raising and angling slower. On my last job just as I made my last push to a snow bank... I couldn't raise it or angle it. Had to jack it up manually and chain it to get home.

Checked fluid and it was a little low but no leaks anywhere. So I drained the entire system and flushed it, including rams...put new hoses on (cause they needed it) filled her up and went to move her left and right to get air out of the rams and still nothing.

Any ideas? Relay?? I do have power at the stick and when i move it I hear clicking and can feel it in the control stick... but she don't move at all... Help!
  2. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Check and make sure your grounds are nice and tight. Also check the connections at the relay. Once you've checked your connections, hold the controller up and have a buddy touch a wrench (or jumper cables) across the terminals of the relay. If the plow then works, replace the relay. If the plow doesn't work, and you have checked your grounds, checked power to the relay, and jumping across your relay doesn't work, then I'd think you need a new motor. But the first thing to check is the connections. I bet one is just coming loose, which will show itself by the plow working slow, and then it not working at all.
  3. powerglider

powerglider Junior Member

I'm having a similar problem I think.

I hear a click sound but no action.

I checked the voltage across the relay and I'm only getting 5v when the indoor lever is engaged. Not sure if I just can't get a good contact (tried my best to get more than 5v but that's the best I could get). Is it possible a relay can let only a partial voltage through?

Also the cable that links the cab control to the hydraulic actuator is broken off so I have to change that.

Is the relay to be replaced anything special? The one I have is discolored and I can't read any information from it.

4. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Sound like the motor. If you hear a click noise at the relay, do you hear the motor running??
    Jump power to the motor from the battery to see if the motor is any good.

Did u clean the screen when you flush the system??

Or it "could" be the pump seized ??
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  5. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

If you have a napa auto store they might carry a relay

here a pic of what the relays look like;

relay western part # 61535

6. Gumpy52

Gumpy52 Member

You may need a lift solenoid, not the headlight relay that twinman326 showed in his post