1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ultramount wont angle or go up up.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by windrowsnow, Feb 9, 2011.

1. windrowsnow

windrowsnow Senior Member
    from nw ohio

i have an ultramount on my dodge. last week it would angle but wouldnt go down, i swapped an old controller out and got it to work fine. well monday we were scraping ice and all of a sudden it went dead, wouldnt angle. let it sit for a while and as we were driving i angled it and worked fine, up unitl last night when i hit some rough pavement and it stopped working, wouldnt go up wouldnt angle, til i hit another rough patch then it worked. every time i hit the control up and left and right, it clicks under the hood. any ideas what this could be?? maybe a bad solenoid?

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

bad solenoid is possible. bad connection at the 9 pin plug more than likely.

3. windrowsnow

from nw ohio

i disconnected all three plugs and they came apart extremely hard, i needed to drive the truck tonight, i forgot to mention that when i pulled the two pin plug apart it was the hardest to come apart. it looked almost like it was melted??? idk how the hell its possible to melt that i didnt think there is that much juice running through it.

4. mrplow5885

mrplow5885 Junior Member

do the wires right by the connector look melted. watch your volt meter in the truck when you are trying to move the plow, see if it is pulling a lot of current. we had a similar problem on one of our plows at the beginning of the year and it was a bad motor.

5. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Or a ground problem

Without a good solid ground, electric becomes stupid..

6. windrowsnow

from nw ohio

power wires on pump, the rubber or plastic covering look melted and so do the two prong plug. now to think of it it is pulling alot of volts, gauge in truck spikes high and then check gauge light comes on. turn truck off and problem solved. mind you i dont plow in this truck it is used between two other guys depending on who is working.

7. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

sounds like your plow motor is shot. When it pulls that power, you need to fix that.

8. windrowsnow

from nw ohio

i would have to replace the wiring as well then right since it is melted? this is the first season i have worked on my own equipment, normally i take it to the dealer but i do not want to to pay there hourly rates!!

9. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

I would replace the power harness to the plow motor..Like I mention before, if you have a ground problem (a ground wire broke off) it becomes stupid..Also I would check to see if the truck frame cut into the power lead going through the grill area to the plow motor..