1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

UltraMount Wiring question for you guys!

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by mponcelet, Nov 29, 2014.

1. mponcelet

mponcelet Junior Member

So I am planning on buying a barely used Pro Plus that comes with mount and wiring for a 2009 Chevy 2500hd. I want to put it on my 2004 2500hd. I talked briefly to a dealer and he said that everything should work besides a headlight adapter that I would need to get (?). I plan on doing the install myself, even though Ive never done one I feel like it could be easily accomplished with my moderate mechanical and electrical skills. What I am really wondering is if all of the mounts and wiring (with the exception of the headlight adapter) will transfer onto my truck. I know you guys know these plows like the backs of your hands so I might as well consult the experts!

Michael Poncelet
  2. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

You can try westerns quick match for each truck, then see if the part numbers they give you are the same for each truck.
  3. mponcelet

mponcelet Junior Member

Thanks Tony! I compared the numbers using QuickMatch and the only thing that was different was the light harness. However, it did give me an option of choosing whether it is a 3 port Isolation module or a 4 port Isolation module. Is there anyway of determining which my plow is without just going and looking at it? Thanks for the help
  4. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

The dealer is correct... Everything from the 2009 is a direct fit to your 2004 with the exception of the headlight harness. The 2009 will be a three port module, which will work on your 2004. The 2009 has HB3/H11 lamps, and the 2004 Has HB3/HB4 lamps. The HB3 part is the same from the 2009 to the 2004. On the other hand, A 29458 adapter will adapt from HB4 to H11, but I'm not aware of an adapter that goes the other way, which is what you'll need to do. It may exist, and I'm just not aware of it. Worst case scenario, you'll need another lighting harness only. The rest is all the same.
  5. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I mit be wrong but I think the main difference between the 3 and 4 port is modules is for the headlight harness. The older ones were 4 port and there were two ports were for headlight harnesses. One for passenger side one for drivers side. The 3 port has only one port for the headlight harness but the harness will do both the drivers and paste gers side headlights.

I don't think there is a way to know without seeing it. My guess is it is a 3 port since it is on an 09 but not sure. You will have two order the right harness for whatever module you have. I would guess the guy selling it would know which one he has.
  6. Usedsnowplows

Usedsnowplows Inactive

09 only has 3 port. So cubicinches is correct.
  7. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

3 and four port modules are inter compatible but the three port is the newest technology so if you have a choice go with the three port.
    The only real difference between the two is that the four port had two headlight cables, a long one and a short one. You made the RH signal flash on the RH side by switching the two cables in the module. With the three port there is a single Y shaped headlight harness with one long and one short leg. To make the signals flash on the correct side you flip a little two pin configuration plug right by the module.
    But if you had a good truck with a broken old four port plow you can upgrade to the newest MVP3 multiplex two plug and the four port isolation module and headlight harness would still plug and play with the new plow.
  8. bmc1025

bmc1025 Member