1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultramount Wiring for 2004 Ram 2500

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Soarer, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Soarer

Soarer Junior Member

For the last few years I've been plowing with a 96 F350 with UniMount setup. I am selling the truck and pulled the entire plow system out of the F350. I bought a 2004 Ram 2500 that does not have a plow. I will be putting one on. I'm going to sell the UniMount plow and frame off the F350 to fund the purchase of an UltraMount system for the Ram.

I can buy a frame for the Ram new for about $500. I've found used UltraMounts in good shape for $1000 to $1500 but Western dealers want $1500 for a truck side wiring kit. That seems pretty steep to me as I'm trying to keep this project under $2000.

Here's my question... Is there any reason I can't make my own truck side wiring harness for headlights? I'm thinking I'll just run separate circuits for high and low beams and wire them into a foot operated switch to select between hi/low. When I'm using the plow, I'll just put the truck's regular parking lights on, then flip a switch to turn on the plow lights. This is pretty much the way the headlights have been hooked up on my past two trucks. I'm not sure what the need for all these fancy wiring systems and isolation modules is all about besides added expense and complexity.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

It can be done, but the ultra mounts use the head lights, or gnd as a trigger for the plow. So you'd have to hotwire that as well

3. Grasshackers

Grasshackers Junior Member

I had this problem last year, I found the power, control, headlight harnesses, and isolation module for around $600 from storks auto in P.A. They will ship right to you.

4. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

you might find an Ultramount plow with relay wiring. then you could do it like you are thinking. Or even if you found one with iso wiring, you can convert the plow back to relay wiring with an old set of plow lights. Then install all your relay wiring on the dodge - but just don't hook it up to the truck headlights. then run your plow lights off a separate switch, like work lights.

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Unfortunately the newer isolation module units need the headlight system tied in or the controller will never fire up. As said above, the old relay system worked without headlight harness but do you really want to go backwards? And if you choose to Jerry-rig an isolation module system it will be an issue if you ever have to take it for service. What do you think a mechanic is going to do when he sees that the original schematics don't apply? And resale value down the road will be affected too. Of course if you do all your own service and you understand & remember all the modifications made perhaps it won't be an issue for you. To me there is a great deal of value in keeping a unit original.
    The purpose of the isolation module is to make the plow / truck lights switch automatically from truck to plow when the grill plugs are connected. At 02:00 in the morning when its 20 below you will appreciate it.

6. Usedsnowplows

Usedsnowplows Inactive

Call me tomorrow @ 419 359 0965. I'll give you the help you need to do this or sell you the right stuff to make it happen plug & play. John usedsnowplowsupply.com.

7. Usedsnowplows

Usedsnowplows Inactive

I have a used isolation system complete to fit that dodge including the controller harness, ISO module, light adapters, & power plug w/ solenoid, $550 straight blade 6 pin or $650 10 pin mvp, shipped. 419 359 0965

8. Soarer

Soarer Junior Member

I should have checked back here sooner! Having it be plug and play would have been nice. Anyway, I got the wiring all done with just the parts on hand and a few things lying around my garage.

Here's what I did... I used the pump power solenoid and wiring off the F350. Hooked that all up the same as if it were in the F350. The lighting was a bit trickier. I ran power off the battery (fused) to two relays (hi and low) pulled power to activate the relays from the 12v outlet in the dash, ran that to a switch then out of the switch and down to a floor hi/low switch like in the old american cars. Got that for $5 at Advance Auto Parts and the pigtail for another $4. Then out of the hi/low switch to the relays to activate them. Pretty simple setup and it all is working great! The only thing I don't have is a high beam indicator light on the gage display. The parking lights and turn signals are just tapped into the factory harness.

So, the whole swap cost me $620 for the mounting brackets and uni/ultra adapter and then about another $20 in wiring parts and switches. Not bad!

9. Soarer

Soarer Junior Member

Looks like your site is down.