1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultramount wiring 95 GMC

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by chevguy6809, Oct 4, 2014.

1. chevguy6809

chevguy6809 Junior Member

I posted in the New to the Industry section as well, but figured I would throw this out to the Western gurus around here. I am a newbie when it comes to mounting plow and wiring these etc but with the right answer I can do it no problem.

I have a 95 GMC 1500, that I just got an older Ultramount 7'6" Pro plow for. I believe it is a pro because it has 4 trip springs and 1 shock absorber. It only has 2 plugs on the plow, and the 00' Powerstroke it came off of only had the relay wiring hooked up to it, so all I should need is to get the GM headlight adapters and use the old relay system correct? I can send pictures of the plow if need be. Thanks for any help guys! Looks to be a LOT of GOOD info and GOOD people on here to keep coming back to in the future!

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If it's an old two plug relay system the plow functions will work even without the headlight harness. The trick u may face is getting the plow mounted on the truck if it's unimount. If it's ultramount no problem.

3. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

yes, 4 springs and a shock would be a pro. so, they gave you some relay wiring off of something? If so, if that wiring is good, and has the normal 9 pin main harness with it (will have part # 61437 on the tag if it's still there, and no yellow stripe in the loom), then you'd just need the correct h/l harness to use with that wiring.
    If you have hb3/hb4 headlights on your truck it would be a 61716 that you need.
    oh, and welcome to the forum! sorry, I never look in the new to industry forum. hadn't even noticed there was one. lol

4. chevguy6809

Thanks for the replies guys! I got the plow mounted and wired, now I think an alternator and battery are in store. The plow lights are really dim and the directionals seem to draw so much they act as hazards (turn left directional on and both blink visa-versa) but only sometimes....and I can watch my voltmeter on the dash plummet down to 10-10.5 volts when i turn the lights on. I was thinking about putting 2 led bars next to the existing lights and running those (brighter, less power, wider field of view) anybody run them? thoughts?

5. mishnick

The signals flashing cross-side and voltmeter plummeting doesn't sound good. Those lights shouldn't pull the volts down so hard. The dim headlights, and the weird signals, sounds like a short. Do you have a clamping amp meter to measure current? If it was just dim lights I would say bad connection but your symptoms combined suggest a bigger problem.
    Adding lights may exasorbate the problems. Keep in mind that on that system all the headlight power runs through a single wire and pin on the plug. Do you have a schematic so you can do some voltage tests?

6. chevguy6809

i do have a clamp on ammeter, but I dont have a good diagram to show whats what. I know a guy who installs for a western dealer tell me what colors to hook to what, but i had no idea what they were for.:dizzy:

7. chevguy6809

i was going to do the led and just put my headlight switch into the parking lamp position so the headlights arent drawing at all. Eventually it will all be LED lights on the plow and truck, but they dont give those babies away!

8. mishnick