1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultramount truck mount install

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by kmac, Oct 21, 2009.

1. kmac

kmac Member

I tried searching but I couldn't really find an answer. I am trying to install an ultramount on a '98 Tahoe 2dr 1500. The directions make it look like you are drilling out existing holes in the frame to mount the brackets but when I put the brackets up to the frame no holes match up. Is this right or are my brackets off?

2. kmac

kmac Member

I just tried to refit. The three holes the in the frame the bumper mounts to do not line up with the three holes on the mounting bracket. Does that sound like my brackets are messed up?

3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

are they off a little or alot?

4. kmac

kmac Member

a lot. There is no way to get a bolt through to re-attach the bumper. They off at least 1".

5. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

you may have a 3/4 ton mount.

6. Crash935

1500 and 2500 used the same mount. Part # 67865

7. kmac

kmac Member

That is what I have 67865 it is the right hole pattern, they just don't line up.

8. Crash935

You did take the tow hooks off and the frame isnt bent, correct.

No lead and i had some installs with that mount years ago where it required drilling or reaming out the holes on the truck to get things to line up. Wasnt fun, its not a straight shot because of the body mount.

9. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

what number is the mount that you have?

10. kmac

kmac Member

Part# 67865 I already listed it. Don't you reem out the mount and not the frame? I took the mount back and got a new one, haven't tried it yet. The installer at the palce I got it said Chevy 1500's were the worst and nothing ever lines up?????

11. Crash935

Reamed out the frame, usually the holes on the truck were higher than the mount holes and you want to be able to keep the mount up tight to the bottom of the frame.

And yeah, the 1500's usually didnt line up.

As for NO Lead not being able to read, hes having a hard time thinking lately since hes down to 9 7/8's fingers.

12. kmac

kmac Member

If you ream out the frame won't that mess up how the bumper goes back on if I ever take off the plow? Won't the bolts on the bottom hold the mount up good enough?

13. Crash935

Just going to have to trust us that we know what were talking about, sometimes:dizzy:

14. kmac

kmac Member

Got it on finally! Went OK except driver side nut plate had holes tapped at crazy angles and the holes on the plate on the bottom plate were too close together. What a POS!!!!

Now I am on the wiring and just noticed I have no daytime running light harness adapter, even though I specifically requested one. Is this necessary or can I wire it up without it?

15. Crash935

using a relay harness or iso?

16. kmac

kmac Member

Relay harness.

17. Crash935

You can make your own drl harness using a couple of spade terminals, some wire and inline fuse.