1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultramount to Unimount wiring?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by zraffz, Oct 8, 2016.

1. zraffz

zraffz Junior Member

I am retiring my 1998 K2500 Chevy with an 8' unimount plow on it (9 pin and 2 pin).
    My 2005 2500HD came with an ultramount setup (minus the plow), with the 3 plug setup (11 pin, 3 pin and 2 pin). I use the truck to plow my driveway and my mom's driveway which is half a mile down the road. I'd like to put the unimount plow on the newer truck. I am aware of the issues with the ultramount to unimount adapter but I'm okay with it since it won't get much use.

I am mechanically inclined. Can I rewire the plow side harness to work with the old style unimount 9 pin lights or do I need to upgrade to the nighthawk lights?

Does anybody have any part numbers for the plow side harness?

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Need to replace the plow side light and control harness with the one for the old 2 plug relay setup.

What is with the rash of people want to convert plow wiring? o_O

3. zraffz

zraffz Junior Member

The plow wiring is already the old 2 plug style.

I'd switch the harness from the truck out for the old 2 plug harness but these year GM trucks control each light with an individual signal. I'd venture to guess that means I'd have to upgrade to the poolside wiring and lights?

4. kimber750

ok, seemed to have read it backwards. Do the opposite of what I said. Get the light and control harness for plow side. Should be able to get light harness for the older lights still.

5. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

What Kimber said. Just upgrade the plow side. No biggie.

6. zraffz

zraffz Junior Member

I was unaware of the 11 pin setup for the old lights. As a kit for the control harness and light harness (old style lights) is part number 28053.

Thanks

Reasonable price too at $140. I was expecting to spend more than that on the new style lights alone!

7. kimber750

3 plug wiring came before the night hawks.

8. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

If your old lights are good. You should be able to use them no problem. As far as the unimount adapter. I've used one for years. Never had an issue.

9. to_buy

to_buy Senior Member

I still like the relay style set up, call me old school. Anyone have a "Fleet Flex" set up. I think they will a big problem have solenoid and module mounted on the plow in the elements

10. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

What are the issues that you had with the unimount adapter? I also ran them for quite a few seasons and did not have any problems.

11. kimber750

Have not had a single one come back in for plow module or solenoid, yet. This will be my 6th season with a fleet flex plow and no issues. Surprising how clean those covers keep everything.

12. Philbilly2

Thought I told you... all the cool kids are doing it now!!! :laugh::nod:;)

13. to_buy

to_buy Senior Member

So if the cool kids jump off a bridge I should do it too??:angel::mechanic:

14. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

well ya, why wouldn't you want to have fun too?

15. Philbilly2

Yes... just let a few of them do it first to see if they break anything... if not, your good

16. zraffz

zraffz Junior Member

Truck has an isolation module and I'm not changing it for no reason.

I read that the adapter had an issue with extending the plow too far forward and reducing ground clearance... I'm not too worried about it. I thought about fabricating my own (I own a 250 amp might welder) but I doubt I'll bother for the $275 I can buy one new for.

17. Philbilly2

Did someone tell you to?