1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultramount to Unimount kit gap/play

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by tkahike, Dec 29, 2010.

1. tkahike

tkahike Member

Hey everyone, want to pick the brains of anyone who has an adapter.

I just installed the conversion kit to my ultramount frame side, there is a gap of maybe 1 inch on the clevis pin between the truck frame and the conversion mount. Is that normal? Looking at the pictures online, it seems to.

Thoughts?

2. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

I have the same setup, and mine has the same thing. You can slide the conversion kit from side to side. Has not made a difference, this is the second truck I had my conversion on. I guess you could make some spacers to stop it from moving. I thought about it due to I work at a machine shop but it does not really harm anything.

3. tkahike

tkahike Member

Thanks! I was just going to fill it in with washers if need be, it isn't that big, just didn't seem right.

Thanks again!

4. soundnstyl

soundnstyl Member

I have the same play... so i think it is normal. makes the mounting of the plow a little easier...

Hijacking your thread... what is the height of your mount. Please see the attached. it looks like i have about 8" from ground to the pin that holds the plow to mount... is this too low?

IMG00291-20101223-1224.jpg

5. slongfellowii

slongfellowii Senior Member

You have the wrong plates on. You need the A plates. The pin hole should be 9 1/2-10 1/2 inches off the ground according the the owner manual.
    http://library.westernplows.com/pdf/40281.01_121507.pdf

6. Laner

Laner Member
    from IA

I had a Western dealer install my plow with the ultra to uni mount brackets and they had it 1 hole down from top on the B plates. I couldn't unhook the plow using the stand. I moved the kti to the top hole and still is a bit tight getting it off the truck using the stand. I attributed it to the springs sagging on the truck (12 yrs old at the time) and had a plow before I bought it. Didn't know the kit came with different brackets. I may have to see about finding the A plates to replace the B plates and see if this helps. I bottom out on the mount on small bumps/dips at intersections.

7. tkahike

tkahike Member

I do know you need that 9 1/2 min inch height or the float will not work properly. Try to find the A plates, it will make a difference for you.

8. Bill Shy

Bill Shy Junior Member

what else does not work when a unimount is below 9.5 inches? i know if it is too high the ends of your wear bars wear faster than the middle