1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultramount screaming!

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by maple-guy, Dec 26, 2011.

1. maple-guy

maple-guy Member

Hi,

I've been using a 8'6" Pro Plus with the Flowstat system on my farm for 3 years now and yesterday something strange happened.

I was plowing a few inches before the family arrives for the Christmas meal. I was in about 10 minutes and suddenly, after a push I wanted to raise the plow and it only rose a few inches and stopped. I could hear the pump motor screaming but (almost) nothing was happening.

I dropped the blade from the 6-8 inches it rose without any problem. I thought maybe I was missing some fluid but it was full. The snow looked like I killed a smurf when it overflowed a little!

So now here what's happening;

- I can hear the solenoid valves clicking
    - I can hear to pump motor screaming like it was not connected to anything
    - I can fell a small jerk In the first fraction of a second I push the joystick like it wanted to do something but couldn't. Sometimes it raises an inch or so.
    - When it raises, even slightly; I can lower it without any problem.
    - Same result for raise, left, right

It really feels like everything is fine but somehow; the pump motor is not connected tightly enough to the pump itself and it turn into nothing while making a higher than usual pitched sound.

Any ideas were to look?

Thanks in advance.

JF.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

It really feels like everything is fine but somehow; the pump motor is not connected tightly enough to the pump itself and it turn into nothing while making a higher than usual pitched sound................are you saying the the motor is loose itself???
    i would suspect 2 things,,,the first would be a "maybe" fluid frozen......2nd wiring. spread the grill connector pins out. or just bad wiring. if it worked fine then nothing, poss. a loose wire somewhere.

3. maple-guy

maple-guy Member

Sorry, I meant more like the motor shaft is not turning the pump thus turning into nothing.

I was plowing fine seconds before this happened and I'm using the Western blue synthetic fluid. I will re-check the connectors just to make sure.

Thanks.

JF.

4. dieselss

if you can,,,have someone inside the cab operationg the controller while your outside wiggling connections.

5. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

if it puked out fluid, then it is not a wiring issue whatsoever......I would start by changing the fluid, inspect the inside of the reservoir if you can, and replace the inlet filter for the pump. Also make sure that there are no obstructions or anything preventing the plow from raising-the noise you are hearing could be the relief valve, which prevents overpressurizing the system.

Edit: did the fluid overflow on its own-or when you added extra? If it didn't do it on its own, then I agree with checking the connections-just make sure you are not anywhere you can get pinched if you are out there when someone is moving the plow.

6. maple-guy

maple-guy Member

The fluid overflow happened when I was adding some to make sure I was not missing any.

The noise really seems to be coming from the electric motor turning free. When I let go of the joystick I can hear the motor winding down for 1-2 seconds which is not the case when the pump is working fine. The motor stops almost immediately when everything is fine.

I had hopes that this would be a common problem that happened several times to others. I hate it when I have a 'special' case!

Thanks for your help.

JF.

7. dieselss

Did you pull the motor?

8. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I would first make sure that your connections at your grill and coil / cartridge valves are secured. If it's still not functioning, then drain the fluid and pull your pump for inspection. Have you had it out recently?

9. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like the vanes/gears in the pump are shot. It's not that uncommon with those pumps.

Or, the pickup tube fell out of the pump... also a common issue.

10. maple-guy

maple-guy Member

In that case, would the pressure loss would have been more progressive?

[/QUOTE]

That could just be it!

I will pull the motor to make sure that the physically contact with the pump is good and then I will pull the pump.

Thanks for the info.

11. dieselss

No prob. Keep us updated

12. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Do you have a pressure gauge that you can test it with? The gauge has to be 2500 PSI or greater.

I'm guessing that it's a pickup tube myself, but Cubic is right about the pump failing. The best thing to do is to run through it systematically, first check connections, then pressure test it, then tear it down to inspect the pump's shaft, pickup tube, and o ring.

13. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

No.

I should have been more specific. I didn't mean shot as in worn out. The vanes on the pump tend to just explode... as in instant failure.

You can remove the reservoir with the entire hydraulic unit in place... shouldn't take more than a few minutes. Then you'll be able to examine the pickup tube, and remove the pump from the valve block for inspection. Probably quicker than screwing with a pressure test. If you do happen to have the equipment for a pressure test, your max pressure with the pump against the relief should be 1750 psi.

14. maple-guy

maple-guy Member

Thank you all for the info, I have enough to go on for a few tests. Unfortunately I have a business trip coming up and I'm not sure I will have time to do it before leaving. I'll try to have a friend look at it while I'm gone, if he has time. With my luck, I'll come back to 2 feet of snow with a broken plow!

Thanks again.

JF.

15. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

I had a similar issue and it turned out that the filter was clogged, hopefully that is all it is. Try pulling the reservoir and change the filter and replace the fluid before you tear anything down.

16. Ground Cover

Ground Cover Junior Member

mine did the exact same thing. it ended up being a pluged filter. 2 qts of fluid and a can of break clean to spray filter out with and it is good as new. hope this helps.