1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ultramount removal question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by pwrjnky, Oct 23, 2009.

1. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

I just purchased this truck and plow a week ago and ultramount removal should be a breeze. the truck is slightly lifted so I have to put some bricks down to get the feet to touch when I lower them. No big deal. So...I back away from the plow and the truck still wants to pull the plow with it. I reset the bricks and give a quick jerk back with the truck and the plow comes loose and the light tower falls forward (easy enough to lift it back into place, but shouldn't have to). The plow was new in 2004 and had a little surface rust on the prongs that slide into the truck mount. I sanded it all down with a wire wheel yesterday, primed and repainted so it may help with any friction, but I'm wondering if you guys use any lithium grease or anything to help the plow slide in and out easier?
    Thanks in advance.:drinkup:

2. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

One thing I just noticed. My plow didn't come with any kind of manual, but I found one on this site and printing it now. I may be able to do away with my bricks now since I found that my feet can be adjusted down (depending how much adjustment they have)....they are still on the first notch. Apparently the people I bought this from never adjusted them down either, so that is a plus. Anyways.....are you guys putting any grease on the prongs?

3. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

feet are fixed now. I'm in the 7th hole instead of the first! MUCH BETTER!

4. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

The feet are meant to be adjusted each time you disconnect, just step on the top of it and lower it until it hits the ground. When reconnecting pull up on the handle, the feet will spring up and you can reattach.

5. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

NO kidding! I know that! but by pressing the foot all the way down.....it was still 4" short of touching the ground since my truck has a 5" lift kit. tha'ts why I had the bricks. I didn't know at the time that I could pull the cotter pin and telecope the foot to make it reach.

6. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

OUCH!!!! I felt that slap all the way over here...:jester:

7. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

I got it figured out now. Even with the feet adjusted correctly, with the height of the truck and the plow on the ground, the ram mounts were slight slightly on an angle and made on/off a little difficult. I found an easy fix by lowering the plows blade down on a couple blocks (as seen by another member of this site) which made the mounts more level and made the plow slide right off beautifully! Thanks:drinkup:

8. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

9. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

not sure. I bought it a week ago from a dealer who had it installed in 2004 and they've used it to plow their lot. with the lift on the truck....the base frame of the plow when mounted is on a slight angle. With the blade sitting on 3 1/2" blocks it's level. I don't know how that would be able to be fixed. According to the dealer, it plows great. It just needs to have the blade set on blocks to be able to hook up/remove it more easily.

10. Crash935

Did you read page 10, that tells you how to fix it or atleast tell you if its configured right. You shouldnt have to set it on any blocks to put it on or take it off.

11. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

OK....I just finished educating myself! dimension "d" on page 8 says that the if the receiver brackets on the truck measure 17.5-19", the pivot plate should be set at config. 4. My measurement is 21 1/4". Looks like my pivot plates should be in position 4 and they are currently on 2. I guess I'll have to flip my brackets over and put them into the correct position. It says that I should install a stacking stop though. How easy is it to flip the pivot plate and do I need the stacking stop?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  12. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

......or I can leave it and keep setting it on the blocks to remove/install it. takes like 3 seconds to throw the blocks down and I won't be removing/installing very much. They've used it this way for over 4 years now.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  13. Crash935

I would flip the plates first of all.

As for flipping the plates, not a one person job, definatley need a extra set of hands and a impact to do it the short way, otherwise you need to strip the upper lift frame assy from the lower lift frame assy to make it managable by yourself.

14. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

you think I should definitely flip the plates? I have an impact. It won't really hurt the plow the way it is will it?

15. Crash935

Plows are designed to have the A-frame close to level. By raising or lowering the rear of the a frame you change the stress points on the plow and mount and also change the attack angle of the cutting edge. IF it didnt matter, they wouldnt make it so you could change it.

16. timberseal

timberseal Senior Member
    from 46385

As it is the cutting agle isn't what it should be which will also affect how the blade trips when it hits something it's not supposed too...... I would adjust it. 3 1/2" is alot!

17. Crash935

There you go, now its 2 to 1 and i can get more guys to tell you to switch the plates than you can get thatwill say not to so bust out the impact and im serious, DONT try a switch them by yourself.

Ill even give you a hint,

15/16 socket and wrench
    1 1/16 socket and wrench
    1 1/8 socket and wrench

Flip the blade on it face, take the stand assemblies off, (this is where your 2 friends come in) have them hold the lift frame assy from each side while you take the plates off and flip them to the correct setting.

18. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

RRRRRRRRRR, damn it! I'm the type of person that has to have things right or it really bothers me. I was going to try to let this slide, but you guys pushed me over the edge! My guess is the dealer had the plow installed, then the following summer they added the lift kit and never thought about the plow.

19. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

I've got my dad coming over this morning to help me flip the plates now. I hope you're happy. Now I have to buy A STACKING STOP TOO.

20. timberseal

timberseal Senior Member
    from 46385

:) You can thank us later ..... I seen them set to low at times too where the feet ended up getting ground off from it hitting the pavement. Gotta have your stuff setup right if you want it to work and hold up!