1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

UltraMount removal from vehicle

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by MarkEagleUSA, Nov 24, 2010.

1. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

I'm stumped. After adjusting everything per the manuals and instructions, I continue to have problems when trying to remove the plow from the truck. When I attempt to back away from the plow, it doesn't release from the receivers and gets dragged backwards. I find the I have to usually rock the upper frame to loosen it sufficiently for removal. This doesn't seem normal and I can't figure out what to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Thanksgiving!

2. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

When you lower the blade, keep the control in float... then collapse the lift cylinder completely so that there is slack in the chain (this is a must). Rock the headgear towards the truck as far as possible while stepping down on the stand shoes to set them. If this doesn't work, then either the configuration or the height of the stand shoes is set up incorrectly. When it's set up right, and you follow the correct procedure... it's a breeze.

3. RedsGarage25

RedsGarage25 Sponsor

Just curious...what model western plow is on there? and what type of truck do you have?

4. MarkEagleUSA

That's what I've been doing..

The configuration and shoes are all set according to the instructions.

I was under the impression that rocking the headgear wasn't required (since it's not mentioned in any of the instructions).

Well, that's what I thought too... :eek:

It's a 7'-6" Standard on a 97 Chevy K2500.

5. cubicinches

Try rocking the headgear as I described. It allows you to get a better set on the shoes, thus taking the weight of the plow off the truck mounts.

6. MarkEagleUSA

Maybe I should paint it yellow and call it a Fisher? :rolleyes: :D

That doesn't always work for me. I find I usually need to actually pull the plow away from the truck to release the horns from the receivers.

It's almost as if the horns are getting wedged in the receivers. Is it advisable to use some form of lubricant in there?

7. cubicinches

8. MarkEagleUSA

That usually doesn't work. Most times I have to yank the plow away from the truck.

When setting the jack shoes, should they be in contact with the ground or slightly above (1/4"-1/2")?

I going to play around with it some more tomorrow while the bird is in the oven.

9. cubicinches

The shoes need to be in contact with the ground! If you look at what's going on there, it's simple to figure out why it gets wedged on the truck. The weight of the plow and headgear needs to be resting firmly on the shoes, or the assembly is not coming off the truck easily.

Try this... rock the headgear as I described... With the chain slack, push the headgear towards the truck while stepping down on the shoes. If the shoes aren't firmly in contact with the ground, take a look at the spring on the shoes just under where you step down on the top of the shoe... If it is stacked completely, then you need to move the rollpin in the shoe to a higher hole (regardless of what the directions say) to lessen the travel of the whole assembly and allow the shoe to support the weight of the plow before the return spring stacks completely.

Let us know how you make out.

10. MarkEagleUSA

I've got to double-check, but I think if I go to the next hole with the rollpin the shoe contacts the ground before the lockpin engages. Also, the springs are not close to being fully compressed.

Will do.

11. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I usually have problems getting it out not that it gets stores in the shed on new concrete, it just slides back with the truck. Usually if I turn the wheels full one way and back up it will release a bit, then the other way, next straight and it is out.

12. MarkEagleUSA

I went out this morning and looked everything over. I was able to get the rollpins up one notch on the shoes. Combined with rocking the headgear while stepping on the shoe, the plow now seems to release much easier. I just never considered having to rock the headgear as it's not mentioned in any of the documentation. Thanks for pointing out the obvious for me! :eek: ;)

13. cubicinches

By rocking the headgear towards the truck, you can set the shoes that little bit further, then when the gear rocks back onto the feet, the weight is relieved from the truck mounts.

Glad it worked out for you!

14. 66 BADBOY

66 BADBOY Member

Just reading this thread, and thought I'd jump in and say I was having this type of issue with mine (new plow two weeks ago). Messing around with it yesterday and found out that doing this same thing worked for me too.

15. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I will have to try this next time it comes off. Thanx

16. NorthernPlowman

NorthernPlowman Member

I never had any problems with mine I simply lift the frame (by the release handle) while pushin the shoe down and slides right out not rocking the headgear or anything like that. I did put a thin coat of grease on the horns to help it slide a little easier.(IMO)