1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

UltraMount receivers

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by MarkEagleUSA, Sep 11, 2011.

1. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

Has anyone done anything to "secure" their UltraMount receivers so that they can't be stolen if left on the truck when the plow is off? I got in the habit last year of removing them anytime I removed the plow but sometimes it would be more convenient to leave them on. I just don't want anyone to see them if I'm in a Home Depot or Walmart and help themselves.

2. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Just drill out the hole in the nub that the cotter pin goes in once the main pin is in place. Drill them bigger and put a padlock through them instead.

3. MarkEagleUSA

Wouldn't a padlock would get in the way (my cotters have been twisted up on more than one occasion)? Also, wouldn't the nub get weakened by drilling a hole big enough for a padlock?

Seems like the pin itself should be longer with a padlock hole on the inner end. I may fab up a set of longer pins and give it a try.

4. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Drill new holes out in the end and still leave the cotter pin in to keep it tight. Out that far they shouldn't interfere with the lock hooks on the blade. But still keep the keeper plate in the hole to not let it out. My .02 worth.

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I have seen people do the thing with the padlocks too and it seems to work OK until they try to take them off after they are badly corroded. What we recommend at my shop is similar but we just install a 1/4" bolt with a stover locknut. They are esier to get off when they are corroded but are too much of a pain in the ass for someone to get tools if they happen to see your truck sitting. Thieves who know how to take your recievers don't expect to need wrenches so if they can't get them off by hand they give up and move on. If they really want them that bad the padlock is not going to stop them either.

6. MarkEagleUSA

That would probably work. However, I'm starting to think any type of lock down there would probably be more trouble than it's worth. It would be just my luck that the locks would seize up and I wouldn't be able to get them off.

I came up with a one option today of using a clamping set collar on the end of the pin. While it's not a lock it would require someone have the right size Allen wrench to get it off and would take more than just a few seconds and that might get them noticed.

I suppose a couple of 3/4" bolts would work too but then it would be a hassle to take the receivers off.

7. mishnick

All security is a pain in the butt. Whatever happened to the days when you could leave your keys in the car overnight. Yes I am that old that I remember that far back. We even have people (probably our own customers) jump the fence at our shop and steal parts off the plows at night. God forbid I ever catch someone taking parts off my truck. "One warning shot to the head, then when they refuse to stop shoot to kill over their left shoulder, two empty casings and one dead theif, dead people tell no stories right." I wish it was that easy.....

8. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I totally agree with you mishnick and I am to young to remember leaving keys in cars. Just had $500 worth of welding lead stolen. I agree shoot'em then there is only one side to that story.

Agree the locks what probably be worhtless after one season and need to be cut off. Also some type of bolts would probably be enough to keep most thieves honest.

9. mishnick

That really sucks about the welding cables. I myself am a welder and a heavy duty mechanic so my truck is rigged up for welding & mobile work in the summer then I take that off & put the plow on for the winter. I am too old, cranky and stiff to be fixing things outside in the winter. I know how much those welding leads cost as I have about 100 feet on my truck. I am very fortunate not to have had anything stolen from me off my truck yet (knock on wood). Maybe it's because everyone around here knows I am x-military and they know my views on dealng with theives. It's kinda like this... "Although I walk through the vally of the shadow of death I fear no evil; for I am the meanest son of a ***** in that vally."

10. Mxrider069

Mxrider069 Member

I use 3/4 bolts with nylon lock washers. I drilled out the little tube on the receiver and installed a ZERK fitting to keep grease in there to prevent corroding. I takes a few minutes to get them off when you want them off, but if it keeps 200+ dollars in my pocket im happy. Ive never had a problem with corrosion, i just throw a few pumps of grease in there every so often. Plus what thieve is carrying a 1 1/8 wrench and socket with them. They will move on