1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultramount pump pushes fluid out the breather.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by matzke3, Oct 15, 2008.

1. matzke3

matzke3 Member

I have an 02 model year ultramount on a unit and it pushes fluid out of the breather to the point where it loses prime. I am using western fluid. I have changed the brather and even fabricated one from a meritor truck rear end and filtered with a steel wool insert. I have also standpiped the breather up 4 inched with pipe fittings. The end result is much improved but still it pushes fluid. Anyone experience this. I cant think of any further causes outside of normal operation.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Pull the reservoir off and look to see if the fluid return tube along with it's diffuser fell out of the pump and is lying in the bottom of the reservoir. I think you'll find that it is.

Without the return tube and diffuser in place, when the fluid returns to the reservoir during blade drop it will do so with enough force to blow the fluid out the breather after enough use. If you run a guillotine style drop speed adjustment it will add to the issue.

3. matzke3

matzke3 Member

Thats sounds like it could very likely be it. It will be a few weeks before I can get it in to check but I will let everyone know. Thanks B&B!

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Happy to help mat. Give it a look see and let us know how it works. :waving:

5. matzke3

matzke3 Member

Dead on B&B! I went to hook up my plow tonight and it would not even lift (i have jolted it around with a skid steer this of season). So I drug it backwards and into the shop, pulled down the 4 screws in the resi. As I did this the return tube/diffuser you spoke of fell off and into the resivoir. I cleaned and reinstalled it. It seems to fit real snug for a plastic press fit. I read into it and I understand that there is an update for this problem. Is there a way I can tell If this has been done to mine? I bought it used so I dont know for sure. I put it back together and she works like a champ, but Im afraid this is going again, espically in season.

6. matzke3

matzke3 Member

Wait forgot another question-The diffuser is the smaller tube with the rounded diffuser right? Because the on Im talking about is the pump pickup I think, Its cylinder shaped screen and anglesd tube into the pump itself???????:confused:

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it's the revised setup it would have had a retainer tab on in to hold it in place....which it sounds like it didn't. :D

Head over to the local dealer and pick one up and your issue will be fixed permanently.

8. matzke3

matzke3 Member

I prolly should. Definately no tab:nod:

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Either one out of place will cause issues..