1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ultramount problems

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Johnny Bravo, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Member
    from WI

I have a ultramount midweight with push button controller, mounted on a 80s chevy blazer. It was working well, but two winters ago it started acting up.

Here is what I have looked into so far.

Newer battery, had it tested.
    Newer alternator, had it tested.
    Newer starter.
    Took the controller apart & looked at it, seemed fine.
    Checked fluid level.
    Checked the wiring, looked in good shape, connectors were tight & clean.
    The power cord going into the motor was lose, tightened the lose post in the motor.

Now onto the issues I'm having.
    This started to happen two winters ago and has been a constant issue.

If leave the plow plugged in, it will drain the battery. My lazy solution is just to unplug the plow every time I'm done plowing, but would be nice not to.

Last winter it has been nothing but control issues. All these issues happen on & off, it can be working fine and then all of the sudden it will start acting up.

Moving the plow, mainly lifting it, it well be very jerky like it's turning on and off as I'm trying to lift it.

When trying to move the plow, mainly lifting, it will just sit there making a clicking sound.

The plow will just drop on its own and fast, sometimes it will drop right to the ground and sometimes it will drop and then stop before it hits the ground.

The plow will start to drop on it's own very slowly, then I can't get it to do anything. This has only happened a couple of times.

At times the controller will just power off.

It also seems like the plow draws a lot of power anytime I move it. It will make the lights dim, wipers move slow, heater fan to slow down.

The truck its self seems to work fine & I don't have any issues when the plow isn't connected, granted that I don't drive the truck much because I only use it for plowing and it's not plated, other wise I would of taken it in to get looked at.

So any ideas of what may be wrong and if it's a simple fix ? Or does it sound like I'm going to be stuck with trying to take it in to get looked at ?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like a grounding issue. I would do a detail inspection. Also download a PDF of the schematic of the wiring to verify the power side of the wiring.
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

As pat said, get the wiring diagram.
    I'm leaning towards ground as well.
    Start at the batt(s) and follow the plow wire out to the grill connector, look at and in the connector good, then the plow wiring from the grill out to the motor.
    What you can do is install a set of jumper cable from negative batt to plow motor negative and see if this helps...temporary of course.
  4. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Member
    from WI

I think I'm looking at the wrong diagram as the place I got my plow from didn't give me the paperwork that came with it and just gave me a print out, think I'm looking at the wrong stuff online too. I haven't looked at schematics yet.

The isolation module in my truck has 3 harnesses plugged into it and what I'm looking at has 4, not sure if that matters much.

Something I did find, which I think is the long harness for the headlights. It has a connector with blue wire on one side and black or brown on the other side.
    It looks like there is a chassis ground and off of that is another, perhaps ground wire with a larger ring terminal that looks like it could fit the battery.

So should this wire be connected to the battery ? and could a ground on the headlight side cause issues with the plow it's self ?
  5. dieselss

All western plows use blk/og as grounds.
    You you have 3 port 3 grill connector correct?
  6. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Member
    from WI

I was mistaken, the harness that has the blue wires, the other side of it appears to have two black, one yellow, and one green wire. It was just real dirty and they all looked black, guess the schematic wont do me much good until I get the wire colors right.

Both the chassis ground & disconnected wire off of it are black. Didn't see any orange on it, but the wires are very dirty so I may have missed it.

Yes I have 3 plugs coming out of the grill.

I'd just like to say thanks again for taking the time to help me out, as you can tell I'm pretty clueless. :dizzy:
  7. dieselss

8. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Member
    from WI

Yep just got done looking that over. The closest thing I have found to what looks like the lose ground, I found is on pg 7, in line adapter instructions.
    I wouldn't know why though because I don't have 4 headlamps and it wouldn't be connected in the manner it shows and would have an extra wire to the chassis from the battery ground.

Think I'll poke around under the hood try to see if I can tell for sure what that ground is from. If not I'll just bank on dumb luck and connect it to the battery ground and see if it helps any.