1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultramount Pro-plow won't angle right

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by bpbolde, Feb 3, 2014.

1. bpbolde

bpbolde Junior Member

I'm trying to help out a friend troubleshoot his plow. It raises and lowers normally. It is stuck angled full left. When angle left is activated, the pump bogs down just as you would expect when the cylinder reaches its full extension. When angle right is activated, the pump runs at high rpm as if there is no pressure in the system. There is no/minimal pressure in the driver's side cylinder. I've done the screwdriver check on all the coils. They all function well and when they're supposed to.

Any ideas? Thanks!
  2. xjoedirt55x

xjoedirt55x Senior Member

First do the controller test and make sure that checks out first. I was having similar problems, and found out it was my controller that was the blame.

http://www.westernplows.com/wp/pdf/...traMount Straight Blade with Relay System.pdf

Check out page 48
  3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Sounds to me like you have two issues, first the S2 valve is stuck open and second one of your crossover relief valves is free flowing. This would allow pump to free flow through the P/O check valve for right angle and when trying to go left the P/O check valve would be stuck shut blocking any movement. But to have two problems at the same time? If your problems began after a serious impact against the blade I could understand. Crossover valve and S2 both damaged by the same overpressure would explain it.
    Have a look at this link: http://library.westernplows.com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/27097_061503_web.pdf
    Go to page 25 to see the hyd schematic showing as if the S2 valve was stuck open. See also the other valve positions.
  4. bpbolde

bpbolde Junior Member

Thanks for the help! The crossover relief is corroded in place. Its been soaking in Kroil for the last day. I'll attempt to get it out tomorrow. If not, its on to the mill to get drilled out and re-tapped. I'm really impressed with Western's mechanic's guide that you guys have linked to. I'll update tomorrow. Thanks again
  5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

That's great that u like the mechanics guide. Good information is the first step toward fixing your plow on your own. Western has a great Library of technical info for everything they ever sold. Mechanics guides, installation instructions and parts lists. A wealth of information and all free on the Internet.
  6. bpbolde

bpbolde Junior Member

Interesting finds

I got the valve out. One of the O-rings was blown out. Unfortunately, the threads didn't survive intact enough to be cleaned up with a tap. Hopefully a Helicoil will fix it up. While it was on the bench, I tore everything down. All the cartridge valves work very well. There was a lot of metal flakes in the fluid and it was completely opaque and brown. Also interesting finds were the suction filter was missing and the return screen was blown off the tube and rattling around in the reservior. I ran everything through the parts washer and its sitting on the bench drying for reassembly tomorrow. :mechanic:

I'm wondering what kind of force must have been put on that plow to cause that kind of internal damage.