1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultramount Pro Plow settling

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by brettz28, Nov 7, 2012.

1. brettz28

brettz28 Junior Member

I purchased a 1 yr old western pro plow from a guy who did not do much plowing with it. When I am parked, it does not settle at all, but driving down the road it settles quite a bit. Is there a valve or something that could be sticky, or what am I missing. I have not had this before with any of my other plows.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What do you mean settle?

3. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

I think he means drifting down. don't know why it would be different when sitting still as opposed to driving down the road. except that you normally lower the blade anyway when parked.
    but to answer the question, a sticking 2 way cartridge is the first thing to look at.

4. dieselss

I kinda thought that too,,,,just wasn't 100% that was it

5. brettz28

brettz28 Junior Member

Yes, drifting down is what I was getting at. Sorry, for not describing it better.

I only did the parking with it up to test it for settling, and parked it is fine. I think the bouncing is what is causing it to settle, maybe???

I don't know, I will try changing the fluid, as I do that as part of my annual start up anyway, but just wondered if anyone had encountered this so I knew what to look for before putting the new fluid in.

Thanks for the help!!

6. dieselss

As mentioned pull the 2way valve....and your sure there's no leaks anywhere??

7. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I agree, the two way valve is what holds the pressure in the lift ram so if it is not sealing tight the fluid will leak past. Easy to change, pull the cover, remove the coil nut, then the coil and finally the valve cartraige. Be sure the blade is down all the way though or it will drop as soon as you pull the valve.... and oil will spray everywhere. You might get away with pulling it out and blowing it out with compressed air. May be just a bit of dirt in it. When you blow it put the coil back on and use a 9volt batter to transition it to both open and closed to allow the debre to be dislodged by the airflow. If that fails then just put in a new valve. But be carful to clean things up around the valve before pulling it. It takes 1/4 the diamiter of a human hair to destroy a pump or jam up a valve. Don't let any dirt get in while you have it open.

8. brettz28

brettz28 Junior Member

Would you happen to know the part number for the valve and which valve it would be? I think I would just as soon put a new one in. I am all for Maintenance to avoid issues during the night.

Thanks!

9. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

should be a 49227K , and assuming this is a straight ultramount plow with the tank on the bottom, as you face the cartridges it would be on the left. the decal in the cover over the coils will also show you which is the 2way.

10. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

That is not the S2 valve but looking at the schematic nealybird is corrrect. That is the S1 and that is the correct valve to change. This is the one with the ball check valve to hold the fluid in the lift ram.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  11. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

that's the 3way mishnick dude.