1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultramount pro plow on 2009 F150?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ibbuckhunter, Feb 7, 2015.

1. ibbuckhunter

ibbuckhunter Junior Member

Hi guys (and gals), I am new to the forum and I am looking for some advice. I plow my home, my farm, and a couple rental properties (2-4 hours per snowfall) I have a 2002 Chevy 2500 HD with a 5 year old 7.5' Western Pro Plow Ultramount on it. I am looking at buying a 2009 F150 5.4L with tow package, 7200 GVW and 3750 front axle GVW. My plow guy says he will charge me $900 to move the plow from the Chevy to the Ford. This includes a NEW mounting bracket for the Ford because he does not have a used one. My Chevy has 97K miles on it. Am I better off selling the Chevy with the plow on it and buying a different plow for the Ford or is it worth paying to move over the plow? Which plow would you recommend I put on the F150 If I sell the Western with the Chevy?

Thanks Much!

2. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

That plow will work fine on an F-150 and I would transfer everything over.

3. ibbuckhunter

Would I need to beef up my suspension? I know the local Western dealer will not put the pro plow on a F150. He said I need a midweight or HTS. My plow guy said it would be OK.

4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i would beef up the suspension

5. ibbuckhunter

What would u suggest?

6. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

bigger springs or going with a midwieght

7. grosser397

grosser397 Senior Member

why not keep the hd for plowing? but either way that plow will be just fine on 150, its not like your trying to put a 9' v plow on it. the weight difference between them i personally don't think its worth spending the money for a new plow. also its not like your out pounding commercial lots with it i think you would be just fine running it on it and the dealer is going to tell you they wouldn't do it in hopes you buy a new plow from them. id probably throw a leveling kit in it and call it good.

8. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

A good set of springs. Dealer is legally obligated to not install something that your truck technically isn't rated for. They have to figure weight with a passenger in each seat even though that doesn't happen. They also probably want to sell you a new complete set up. But this can be done no problem.

9. ibbuckhunter

Any specific springs or other mods u recommend? Keeping the HD is not an option as I need to sell it to put the money towards the Ford. Its in great shape and worth 10-12K.

10. brant

brant Junior Member

ibbuckhunter
    Not to discourage you (alot of these guys have way more experience than me) but i do own both trucks you are talking about.
    An 02 2500hd with boss8.2 vee and a 09 f150 (heavy tow package) that is my wifes dd.
    The 2500 will plow circles around the ford... i am not a "chevy" guy until now i have never owned a chevy truck.. always fords my whole life 50some odd yrs.
    And it pains me badly LOL to say this but it is true.. IMHO if keeping the 2500 is an option.. i would.. as far as plowing goes.. the ford should be a bit better on fuel my 2500 gets about 14-15 (6.0 gas) ford gets 19-21 (5.0) my main concern with the ford is the tranny and wheel actuators holding up. And the front end in them was not built for a plow of anytype i have done research on the 09 and with about 2-3k worth of upgrades it would be able to handle it (long term) again this is just my opinion
    i plow approx the same as you my own farm.. and family home and one other rental
    after all my looking and reading i ended up with the 2500hd
    good luck with what ever you choose
    brant

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  11. ibbuckhunter

Thanks Brant, I realize the 2500 HD is way better built for plowing. That's why I bought it. However, I can't afford to keep both trucks and the better ride, fuel economy, etc. outweigh the plowing part as plowing accounts for @ 5% of my use per year. I have always been a chevy guy but the last 10 years of GM product I have owned have really disappointed me and I have been using company Ford vehicles for work and their quality and ride have won me over. .

12. ibbuckhunter

Suspension

Any specific Spring or suspension Mods you guys recommend? My plow guy says if I lift the front end of the Ford it may not line up with the Pro plow I am taking off the chevy. You guys probably know this stuff better than me. Should I lift the front end with a leveler kit? If so, which one? Timbrens? spring spacers? Thanks again.

13. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

I got mine from sd truck springs but others have gotten theirs from tuff truck. You can maintain a stock height with nominal squatting with the plow. Ultramounts are adjustable so don't worry about a slight lift, taking apart the lift frame can be a PITA...but again, depends on what option you decide to go with.

Timbrens would also work quite well for no more than what you're going to be using it for.

Stay away from spacers.

14. ibbuckhunter

Thank you for the suggestions. Would you recommend Timbrens and HD springs or just one or the other?

Thanks for the tip on spacers. I was thinking I would need them.

15. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

I would think you'd be in good shape with timbrens and 500 lbs of ballast behind the rear axle for as little as you plan on doing with a 7.5' plow.

Heavy duty springs would be the next step depending on how irritated you get from minor squatting, but mechanically it's not going to bother anything.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  16. ibbuckhunter

Awesome. Thanks for the input.Thumbs Up

17. brant

brant Junior Member

i have timbrens in the rear of my 09 f150 and they work great when carrying a load
    when not loaded the ride is rather short as far as travel so you get a sudden stop on rough roads
    on the front with a blade on the truck would be fine im sure but with out i would think it would jar the heck out of it
    i had an older ford and did coil over HD shocks and carried a blade only when needed and never had issue nor lost ride comfort again i have not used timbrens on the front but i think they would work