1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultramount Pro Help

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jrtcbmw, Feb 5, 2014.

1. jrtcbmw

jrtcbmw Member

I know typical title, but here goes.

Before the season, i replaced the angle and lift cylinders, and hoses. Replaced the system with the Western Fluid. Flushed the system really good.

Plow ran great the first couple storms. Now its seems to be loud when lifting and angling. and seems there is a delay when going left and right.

The plow is an older Ultramount 2 connector, Pro Straight blade.

My first though is the hydro system is low and there still might be some trapped air. I havent had a chance to check that as the weather her is rain and ice!

Looking for things to check when i can before this weekends storm.

Thank you
    Jason

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

After changing rams and hoses you should have run it up / down left / right several times to the max and then top up the fluid to replace the air you purge out. If you didn't do this then you certainly have air and fluid level is probably low so pump will be sucking air. When I replace a ram or change fluid I fill it, run it, check it three times.

3. jrtcbmw

jrtcbmw Member

I did run it for a while and checked it a bunch of times.

4. mishnick

First thing to check is, as you suspected, the fluid level. If you did bleed the air and top it up as you say then the fluid level should be fine. If when you check it is low you need to look for a slow leak. The blue plow fluid makes that easy, just look for the blue snow. If not low then maybe it's sucking air... When you flushed did you have the reservoir off? Clean the sump screen or replace it? If you did then maybe your new sump screen fell off or is cracked. The new version sump screen has a retainer bracket to keep it in place because they had a problem with them falling off. This would behave the same as low fluid because the pump is sucking from 1/2 way up the reservoir instead of the bottom.

5. jrtcbmw

jrtcbmw Member

No i didnt have the reservoir off. just the fill plug on the back of the pump. do you have an image and location that way i can look at that tomorrow or friday when i take a look at it. maybe just pick a new set up up before hand and replace to prevent that, because i have to stop and get fluid anyway. because some how i lost the gallon container i had in my garage.

6. mishnick

I see now your plow is the Isarmatic, I should have known. Isarmatic has only a sump screen but no tube or retainer device so that's not it, even if it falls off it won't suck air. But it may be plugged, that would explain it. Here is a link to the mechanic's guide: http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdffiles/21936_121704.pdf I hope that helps, good pictures and a troubleshooting guide at the back of the manual.

7. jrtcbmw

jrtcbmw Member

That pump design doesnt look like one on my plow.

8. mishnick

Sorry, u did say ultra mount two plug. I am chatting with too many people and got mixed up. U need the flowstat mechanics guide. I can't make a link on my iPhone but will in the am when I get to my PC at the shop. Stand by.

9. mishnick

Here is a link to the Ultra mount Flowstat mechanic's guide. This is for sure the correct book. On page 8 look for the Suction Filter and Pickup Tube. Notice the o-ring, that's the only thing that holds this in on the older models. The new sump screen kit has a retainer kit to keep them from falling out after which the pump will suck air even if the reservoir is full. Also look for cracks in the pickup tube.
    http://library.westernplows.com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/27097_061503_web.pdf

10. jrtcbmw

jrtcbmw Member

Ended up replacing the filter with a new kit. topped off the fluid. bleed the system. got all the air out. Still having a loud pump and some hesitation going left and right.

Also can you tell me the proper way to set up the trip springs. I think mine are out of wack.

11. mishnick

From new we are taught to tighten the trip springs until you can fit a credit card between the coils when its in normal up position. As they get old and stretched you just tighten them (evenly) until you get the tension you like. If they trip too easy and you have more than 1/8" gap I would replace them as a set.