1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultramount Price

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Optical345, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Optical345

Optical345 Junior Member
    from NY

I was quoted $3425 for an Ultramount 8.0' Pro Poly. Does not include installation, as I am going to be installing myself. It does include mount and all wiring harnesses. Good price? Are there any disadvantages to the poly moldboard versus steel? Thanks guys!
  2. mpflood

mpflood Member

sounds fishy

Im in NJ and i got a steel pro 8' for 3200 installed.
    steel is obviously heavier(better to back drag with)
    Mind you i have a dodge 2500 and still needed to upgrade the springs.
    Not sure why any one would want a poly plow.
    Please enlighten me.
    P.S. If you install yourself warranty may be an issue.
  3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

3900 in ct/ny 8ft ultra mount pro plow
  4. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Check out the price from centeral parts wharehouse.
    I bought my 8-6"MVP Ultramount from them and since they were out of state I did not have to pay sales tax.
    You do have to pay shipping, but shipping was about $75
    cheaper than MN sales tax.
    I don't know anyone who uses poly plows so I can't help there.
    What kind of truck are you putting it on?
  5. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

maybe iam mistaking but i believe i have heard people say that ploy plows can be a little hevyer then steel. another advantage to poly is the paint won't wear off and it rolls the snow better.
  6. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

$3600 for 8 1/2 ultra mount installed
  7. DJL

DJL Senior Member

(IMHO) Advatanges of Poly Plow:

(1) Lighter - Less wear/tear on the truck for an equivalent size plow in steel. If you take the plow off and roll it around in a garage it is much easier to push.

(2) Lower Maintenance Costs - No more time spent every season wire brushing the blade, painting it, then waxing so the snow rolls off nicely.

(IMHO) Disadvantages of Poly Plow:

(A) Backdragging - Backdragging would be less effective because of lack of weight (relatively speaking). I don't think they make backdrag scrapers for poly plows yet if you are looking at a Western.

(B) Durability - I'm sorry you can't tell me a poly blade is nearly as strong as a steel blade. You hit an object with a poly blade versus a steel blade, I would expect the steel to hold up better than the poly.

These are just my opinions. I've never owned a poly so these are, I guess you can say, my assumptions about a poly plow.
  8. SnowLane

SnowLane Senior Member

poly/steel weight

The poly plow will weigh approximately 50 lbs. more than its steel counterpart. The poly sheet itself is 3/8 of an inch thick as compared to a 12 guage steel sheet. That in itself will make the poly sheet heavier. Since the poly sheet is bolted instead of welded to the frame as a steel sheet would be it will require more bracing since it is not a structural element of the plow.
  9. cuttingchris

cuttingchris Junior Member

poly is heavier then steel

every poly plow i have looked at are heavier then the identical steel model
  10. Paid just under $3900 for my Ultra pro (steel) in Huntington, Long Island. Worth every penny.payup
  11. Paid just under $3900 for my Ultra pro (steel) in Huntington, Long Island. Worth every penny.payup
  12. DJL

DJL Senior Member

sorry, I guess the idiot dealer I dealt with was wrong. that was he told me I and I made assumptions. Needless to say that was awhile ago and I have changed my dealer/service location.
  13. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Re: sounds fishy

Just another vote that Poly is HEAVIER than steel, it needs more reinforcement.

It is advantageous because it can't rust and there is no paint to chip, and snow doesn't stick to it as much so it rolls off better...allegedly.

14. Tim1075

Tim1075 Senior Member

3400 for an 8'6 steel ultramount in NJ installed
  15. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

$3200 - Western Poly Pro 8' installed on 2500HD

16. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

sbrennan007 nice ride
    I'd take those flags off the tip of the blade guides. They put alot of stress on the blade guide springs causing them to break. Plus the flapping drives me nuts :rolleyes:
  17. Optical345

Optical345 Junior Member
    from NY

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input, I really appreciate it. I'll post the results of my situation. Thanks again!
  18. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. Member
    from Pa.

got a price of 4400 for a 8'6 western v plow. should be in this week to get installed.
  19. I agree with Mebes. Those flags on my plow lasted 40 miles. Exactly the distance from the Western dealer to my house. Very annoying, had to go.
    By the way...nice ride sbrennan007