1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

UltraMount pivot pins

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by MarkEagleUSA, Sep 21, 2011.

1. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

Having recently installing a new A-frame and pivot bar, I decided to buy a new set of pivot pins as well. They came today and when I opened the box I had one of those "light bulb" moments. Tomorrow I'm going to take them to work and have my buddy in the machine shop drill and tap them for grease fittings. Then I can give them a shot of fresh grease at any time.

Has anyone else done this? Is there any downside to doing it?

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Don't drill all the way through diagonally, just drill half way in and then make an intersecting hole across the diameter. This way the grease will go into the friction surface. If you just drill a hole all the way through the grease will go in easy but will just fill the empty space in the pivot bar. Also have a good look at the action on the end of the pivot pin to be sure your grease zerk isn't going to hit anything when the plow moves. You could also drill and tap the top side of the pivot bar... this would be less machining and would for sure not interfere with any moving parts as there is nothing in that area. Might be easier to get at to grease too since it is on the top side.

I think the grease zerks are a great idea. When I build a plow I always put lots of anti-seize on those pins to avoid problems. I have never had any seized but have seen them full of rust.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  3. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Maybe have them countersink the grease zerks in the pin so they don't stick out.

4. mishnick

That is also a good idea.

5. MarkEagleUSA

I think the diameter needed to allow for the grease gun tip would be too large for that 1" diameter pin... it might weaken things up too much.

Good point.

The center of the pivot pin is the center of the plow pivot. I'll take a closer look but I don't think that point moves in relation to the rest of the assembly so it may not be a problem.

6. mishnick

You are right about the pivot pin being the center of axis so it won't move much, just up and down as the bar & plow pivot. But this makes me wonder if those pin ends may be obscured. We are going to need to have a look at the end of the pivot pins to ensure they will be accessible to the grease gun when the plow is assembled.

7. MarkEagleUSA

Took a look at this tonight when I got home. I'm in configuration #4 so there is plenty of room. It looks like configuration #3 will be fine as well. I can't tell what 1 and 2 will be like but there's a simple answer: use a 90° zerk fitting. Since there's over an inch between the pivot bar and the pivot plates, a 90° fitting will allow you to get the grease gun tip in there.

My new pins are going to the shop tomorrow to get modified. I'll try to post some pictures of the final product.

8. mishnick

I had a look today too as I built a couple new mid-weights. I agree there is lots of room for the 90 degree zerks. No way you would get a grease gun on straight ones. Drilling and putting zerks on the end of the pivot bar would also work well and would take less work. Also very accesable.

9. MarkEagleUSA

I just ran out and took another look and you may be right. Now I'll have to decide which way to go. I can probably get the pins modified tomorrow at work. The bar would require disassembly that i can't get to until the weekend. Decisions, decisions...

10. mishnick

Today I looked again at a plow that was acutally hooked up to a truck. Something we have not considered is the recievers on the truck... When the plow is mounted there is no room for a grease gun to get at a 90 degree zerk if it is on the end of the pivot pin. I strongly recommend you drill the ends of the pivot bar. Also consider, if you have access to a lathe or machinest, to turn a shallow groove into the pivot pin right where that zerk will push the grease in. This way the grease will travel all the way around the pin and then work its way down the length of the pin in both directions from the groove.

When I build my own next plow I am going to take the time to install grease zerks on both the pivot pins and the blade centre pin. I have been contemplating this for some time because it is a popular topic. I think some pictures and detailed instruction would benefit many people. I will do this before the first snow this year.

When you decide what to do and take action perhaps you could take a snap and post it?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  11. MarkEagleUSA

Wow. I never would have thought of that.

For now the project is on hold. Maybe this weekend I can hook up the plow and give it a good look to see what the options are. The pivot bar ends does seem to be the best choice however.

I'll snap some pics if/when I decide what to do.