1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultramount pivot bar zerks

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dieselss, Oct 19, 2012.

1. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Hey all, just wanted to pass along some info about the piviot bar. I think theres another post on this that sparked me to do a follow up on this. now im not saying all ultras, but the 4 we have dont have zerks, but our wideout does. i was asked to snap some pics as to the local area where they were. so now i decided to install them on ours. so heres the pics and all the info

ultramount pin.jpg

ultramount pin 2.jpg

ultramount pin 3.jpg

ultramount pin 4.jpg

ultramount pin 5.jpg

2. dieselss

in the first set of pics,,,this plow is only 3-4 years old,,,and the piviot pin and the piviot bar are fairly rusted. the pic of the "crud" is what the antisieeze turned into,,,that was all at the end of the pin. I then used a 2 jaw brake hone threw the piviot bar to clean up the rust and garbage. i also wire wheeled the piviot pin as well. marked and drilled the holes. just make sure the hole is centered, then drilled and tapped i used a 13/64,,,and a 7/32 drill bit...followed up by a 1/4x28 tap. the grease is a water, salt water resistance grease. hope this helps.
    i also remember someone posting that there piviot bar was frozen and the plow wouldnt move,,,this is the piviot point, if it rusts up solid, your plow wont move. I also removed the piviot bolt in the center and cleaned and greased that since i was basically there.

ultramount pin 6.jpg

ultramount pin 7.jpg

ultramount pin 8.jpg

ultramount pin 9.jpg

ultramount pin 10.jpg

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

We have been doing this for years at our shop, it's a great idea and your photos are great. Another place we put zerks is on the pivot bolts at the front end of the A frame. Some Westerns have a hollow space in there and it's not very effective but lots of them have solid tubes that distrubute the grease well. It make a big difference. Now you will notice that all the new Western big box plows have a new pivot bar that comes with zerks from the factory but they still don't put zerks at the main pivot.

4. dieselss

Got any pics of that Nick? Can't picture it right now

5. mishnick

My pics of the zerks on the pivot bar look the same as above, will get a photo of a Wide out with zerk on the blade pivot bolt in the next couple days. I have done this on Wide-outs and pros but not on the MVPs cus you would need to drill and tap a zerk into all the sections of each blade and the A-frame too, just on practical. Some of the other lighter plows are also not suitable because they have a dead space around the pivot bolt. Will get a pic up asap.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  6. mishnick

As prommised...

Hey guys I found my photos from some of last year's zerk upgrades. Below you will see two pivot point zerk installations and one of our old (prior to Western doing it) pivot bar zerk installs. Note that the zerks in the pivot bars are a bit longer than normal. I thought it would make it a bit easier to grease but the short zerks work just fine too and are less likely to break off.

Zerk1.jpg

Zerk2.jpg

Zerk5.jpg

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  7. dieselss

nice pics Nick,,,,have you noticed any difference in doing the center bolt zerks??

8. mishnick

My oldest plow with the centre pin zerk is only two seasons old so I don't really have any evidence that it extends the equipments life but I can tell you that it makes a good deal of phycological and $ difference because people want it and are willing to pay to have it done. It just makes good sence, grease on moving metal parts or no grease on metal moving parts. Seems like a good thing to me.

9. dieselss

ok,,i was gunna do that on my blizzard,,,but never got around to it. maybe ill get motivated soon and do it :)

10. dieselss

just moving up

11. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

If it doesn't extend the life of your equipment then isn't it a waste of time and money?

12. dieselss

No its not, he can't confirm that the center bolt grease zerk is a good thing as of yet.

13. birddseedd

I could see it being usefull on the front pivot as it looks to be very closed, but the rear ones in the ultramount tubes, seems like it would be too easy for the grease to simply get pushed out the first few times you lift the plow.

too be effective wouldnt you have to do something to keep the grease in the pivot?

14. mishnick

I have had my Wide-out now for the third year. I put the zerks on the pivot bar and the blade pivot before ever pushing snow. I grease them once a week in the winter and give them all a good shot before taking the plow off at end of each season. I can assure you that the zerks at the back, on the pivot bar have been very beneficial. This year alone I have repaired three Westerns with seized pivot bars & pins where as my plow, and all the others that I have modified are working flawlessly and not nearly worn so loose as others the same age that were not modified.
    As for the blade pivot bolt, that is not a common thing that seizes. These bolts tend to shear off or rip out only after 15+ years of operation. Common sense dictates that grease on a moving part is a good thing just like KY jelly makes sex better. Don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand that concept. If you still don't see the benefit try having sex on the beach without a towel. Then you will know how a dry blade bolt will wear out and get loose sooner than a greased one.
    As for the grease coming out on the ultra-mount tube?? Yes it comes out the end, that's how you know the friction point is full, just like on any other bearing that comes with a zerk. You grease it until you see grease come out. When I build new units I put a little grease or antizeize on pretty much every moving part. Yes it comes out but those treated will come apart with ease a year later whereas the ones with nothing don't. A little effort to save a lot of headache.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  15. dieselss

Thx nick.....

16. birddseedd

Grease is better. But seems to me if you are going to go through the work to do this. Might as well go a little further and mod it so the grease cannot come out. Would be 100 times more effective. And save you from haveing to grease it every few days

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  17. mishnick

Well you know you can go as far as you want, install bushings, put seals on the end of the pins too, you could even put in needle bearings if you really wanted to go that far. Grease is cheap and it will continue to be effective even after the pins and holes have become old and worn as so many do after 15 or 20 years service. The thing with grease and seals is that if the grease can't get out it doesn't go in either. And when you put too much grease in devices that have seals the pressure can push the seals out. Like those trailer wheel bearings that have zerks in the middle of the spindles. I have replaced many wheels seals and bearings on trailers because people put too much in them. For the ruff service that the pivot bar and blade pivot pin see I can't see the benefit of going to the trouble of "keeping the grease in." Look at the typical skid steer. specifically the zerks & bushings on the ends of the numerous rams on those units. They all have grease zerks and none of them have any kind of seal. They all have grease coming out and it's a mess. When you push grease in you push dirt and moisture out. Seals in ruff service points like this is just not practical. If it was Case, Bobcat, Gehl, John Deer and Mustang would have adopted that practice long ago.

18. birddseedd

Interesting. maybe its overkill. esspicialy if itl last 15 years without anything.

19. dieselss

No. Not overkill. Needed

20. birddseedd

was saying adding bushings to it might be overkill. although, with it, 15 years from now it wouldnt jar around like a rusted piece of meyerstern crap.