1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

UltraMount Pivot Bar/Pin

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by MarkEagleUSA, Dec 7, 2010.

1. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

What will happen if the pivot pin breaks? Will the plow still be useable?

Something happened to the pivot pin bushing on my Standard plow and the previous owner did a fairly poor job welding something (looks like a steel collar) on the A-frame side. The pivot bolt is now angled slightly up from front to back, and the top edge of the pivot bar is tight to the A-frame while the lower edge has about a 1/4" gap along the entire length. My confidence level about it lasting through the season is low.

Unfortunately, things like time, temperature and easy access to a welder limit me from repairing it properly before spring (I'm assuming I've got to disassemble everything to repair it correctly). So I was wondering if maybe I should get a couple of large square U-bolts and lock the pivot bar to the A-frame to prevent further damage?

2. clanier01

clanier01 Junior Member

Replace the pin.

I believe the way you describe it is that there would be more damage occuring from making it fixed solid. Central Parts Warehouse is a good place to get aftermarket and OEM parts. Replace it and no damage to anything else and smoother plowing.
    At least that is my opinion.

3. MarkEagleUSA

If it were just the pivot bar, no problem but replacement means both the pivot bar and the A-frame. My intention is to fix/replace it after the season so I'm just looking to get through the winter.

4. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

MarkEagle

My advice, take it to a welder(or if you know someone who can weld), let the person look at it. I bet you they will weld a thick washer, or re-do the hole for you, and it will be straight. I had the same problem with my pro plow (even tho it is a unimount)Were my bolt went through the "A" frame and "quadrant". The welder did a great job for a fair price.. Never had a problem since. Or you can try to weld, or repair the hole your self. I understand time is limited. The "pivot bar"must move . It not meant to be stable position. That just my advice.

5. MarkEagleUSA

I did and he told me he could fix it no problem, but everything had to be disassembled to do it right because the previous repair was botched. At the time he was booked solid so I foolishly chose to wait.

6. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

It won't take long to take it apart. Maybe you can find another welder?

Or call him, ask him if you can just drop off the pieces that need to be welded (pivot bar, and A frame). That way he might do it between jobs?? That what I did. Drop it off one day, had it back in two.. U don't want to leave it like that. I will do more damage and you will end up buying pivot bar and A frame which will cost you more money out of your pocket compared to having a repair weld.