1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ultramount on 2010 fit on 2003?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Grasskickin', Sep 14, 2011.

1. Grasskickin'

Grasskickin' Junior Member

I have 2003 silverado 2500hd ext cab plowless and found a good deal on a western mvp 8'6 poly with an ultramount off a 2010 silverado 2500hd crew cab anyone know if it would fit on my 2003. i have also never plowed with a western blade before any thoughts good or bad on the mvp.

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Quickmatch says that both mounts are the same 67981-2. But you should check this yourself so you can answer the detailed questions about engine size and box length. These things won't change the mount type required but it might say that the 8-6 MVP is NOT recommended for that truck! If your new truck has a diesel engine the front end weight may be too much. Here is a link to quick match so you can verify things: http://quickmatch.westernplows.com/vehinfo.asp

As far as plowing with an MVP goes the only thing I like better is the Wide-out. The V plow is awsome for flexibility, you can do anything with it! I especially like the Western's speed of movement and the handleld control. I have an F550 rigged up to hookup any ultramount for service purposes. Until now I just plowed for the purpose of testing other people's plows when they had problems so I haven't done much more than our shop parking lot but between my little experience and the comments of our seasoned customers I can tell you that the only people who don't get a wide-out or V plow are those who either can't afford a "real plow" or they just don't need it to plow their own driveway. If you are plowing comercially for money you have an awsome piece of equipment. The only drawback is that they are more complicated than the straight blade and so cost more to fix when they break. Straight blades only have three valves while the regular MVP has six valves. But they are still simpler than the Wide-out and the new MVP plus as they have even more, 11 and 8 respectively.

One drawback with the Old MVP is that you can't hook up to any other kind of plow even though the mount is compatible the wires are not. If you had the new MVP plus you could run the Wide-out and the V as well as the HTS as they all have the multiplex control system and the same two wire grill cable system. And next year Western is going to be putting the two wire multiplex system on the straight blades too so you would be able to hook up to the new straight blades too!

The difference between multiplex and the old multi-wire system is obvious when you look at your controller connector. Yours is a big black plug with ten wires. In this system each valve is controlled by its own wire from the controller. In the multiplex system there is a tiny white plug with only four wires. Power, ground, signal to the plow and signal from the plow. In multiplex control signals are all sent down a single wire similar to radio. They are encoded, sent down a single wire and then decoded on the plow. It makes things a bit harder to troubleshoot but eliminates six wires and makes the plows interechangable.

So there is my two cents worth... well maybe ten cents but either way I hope it helps.

3. Grasskickin'

Grasskickin' Junior Member

Huge help thank you so much! ill be checking the plow out soon

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If the plow is a 2010 it might be a MVP Plus. I have 1 and they are great plows. I believe the mount will work.

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Cet... I think the truck is a 2010 but the plow is of unkown liniage.

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

They would both be good plows.