1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultramount noise on lift arm, last 6 inches

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by WoodBrothersLC, Feb 13, 2014.

1. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC Junior Member

Just had the lift arm replaced on my Ultramount Pro after some bad pitting and rust. Had the dealer change the fluid as well. Got truck back home and parked. Ran an errand with it this afternoon and while lifting plow it flows and sounds correct left and right and also as it goes up, until it gets to about the last 6 inches that the piston reaches, and from there it makes a sort of "whine" or forced unnatural noise. It still goes up with the same speed it normally should, just the noise is unfamiliar to me. I know I should check the fluid first thing in the morning, but wondering what could cause this sound other than that? Could the new bearings be making that noise as they are just now getting lubricated? Could the packing nut be too tight? This noise did not happen with the old lift ram either...it is a new noise.

Thanks in advance!
    -Mark Wood

2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

might be low on fluid have you check it

3. WoodBrothersLC

That's what I am hoping. I'm going to check fluid first thing in the morning and I'll report back. In it's 5th season, I have only had to add at most 2 ounces in a full season between fluid changes, so I'm hoping that the dealer just put a little bit on the low side for fluid. Kind of a bummer that the local Western dealer I bought this plow from is so unhelpful. I actually have my plow serviced at another dealer that doesn't sell Westerns due to the poor service at the actual Western dealer. Rather upsetting...

4. Antlerart06

I see Why don't you service you own plow It isn't that hard to service them

I say it might had air trap and it release it

I don't trust no dealer with my plows they might know what they doing but I cant stand one else working on my stuff

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Believe it or not some dealerships have people who actually know what they are doing. Antlerart6 I think u need to get some counseling for your trust issues! We can't all b experts at everything. I suppose u do your own open heart surgery too.
    As for noise last six inches... Maybe air but check your swivel bar pins too. On first generation ultras there are no grease fittings and they get rusty and seize. These pins are at the back of the a-frame where the plow flexes to go up and down.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  6. mishnick

"that the local Western dealer I bought this plow from is so unhelpful." That really gets my goat! Most of us try really hard to do a good job and then one bad apple drives people away giving the rest of us a bad reputation. It's really great that so many people try to do their own repairs and I, as you can see from all my posts here, try my best to help people out when doing so. I don't want to do operator maintenance so I appreciate those who only come to me with serious repairs.

7. WoodBrothersLC

Is there a chance that whining could come from too much instead of not enough fluid? In the past after I changed the fluid I took the full cap off and let excess fluid come out. When I checked fluid this morning I took fill cap off and a good 4 ounces came out...put fill cap back in and plow appears to have stopped the noise. (Knock on wood).

8. WoodBrothersLC

Hopefully I didn't offend you Mishnick...I do see all your helpful posts and actually read most of them. The only reason I have not done maintenance myself in the past on this plow was because I had a partnership with someone and they owned my truck and plow and I "leased" it and therefore he wanted all scheduled maintenance at the dealer since he owned it outright...through that first 4 years of our agreement before I bought the truck and plow, we struggled to get help with troubleshooting and simple things like a phone call back from our local Western dealer. I've learned a lot on here from your posts in regards to future issues with my plow and appreciate your availability to help others with problems as well. Love my western plow and would never buy anything otherwise...

9. mishnick

Certainly no offence taken at all.
    I am wondering how you are filling and checking your fluid? The ultra - pro plow should have an elbow on the front with the grey plastic plug and then another steel plug on the back down a bit lower. When you check your level put the blade on the ground (at any angle) and take off the plastic filler plug (to let the air pressure out, should be just a bit) then remove the steel plug. The fluid should only come up to that lower plug. If it is overfull it will drain out there. Let it drain until it just dribbles then put the plugs back in. When topping up do the same but fill fluid in the front just until it comes out the back, done... The space in the reservoir between the level plug and the filler plug acts like a bladder. The grey filler plug has a 5psi pressure relief valve in it. So when you lift the plow and the fluid goes down it sucks a bit of air in, then when you drop the blade and fluid all rushes back into the reservoir, and the level rises, it compresses the air in the top of the reservoir until it reaches or exceeds 5 psi. Above 5 psi and it will vent out. After you have used the plow up and down a few times the reservoir virtually seals itself and stops "breathing". This is important to keep moisture out because the blue fluid actually absorbs moisture. It's called a desiccant effect. When the fluid is modified to give it the stable viscosity across such a wide range of temperatures it acquires this tendency to absorb water. So what I am trying to say is that if your reservoir is overfull it will allow the extra fluid out but it's better not to overfill it in the first place. I have never heard noises from being overfull. You say it is quiet now after letting some fluid out "knock on wood" let us know if it stays quiet.

10. Antlerart06

Sorry don't trust people with my equipment Why pay someone else I'll do it my self

11. mishnick

It's great if u can do your own repairs but we can't all b experts at everything. I fix lots of equipment after owners tried to fix it themselves. There r lots of hacks out there. But there is no substitute for formal training and experience. I myself have taken the western factory course twice but I still call the western tech support line for help. I can also admit that I learn something new from all the submissions here regularly. I guess my point is that u need to b realistic about what skills u have and when u should ask for someone with more skill than yourself.