1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultramount no Lo beams

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 94formy, Dec 19, 2010.

1. 94formy

94formy Junior Member

Switched my MVP plus from a 05 2500 hd gasser to a 06 2500 hd dmax. Have everything working except the plow lights. High beams, running lights, and turn signals all work fine but no low beams on the plow. They work on the truck when the plow is connected then when i flip the switch to hi beams the high beams on the truck flash then switch to the plow. Is this in the iso module or do i have the light plugs switched around? Also what did you guys use for your switched 12v power source for the controller. Thanks in advance.

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Do you have relays?

For the power source for the controller, it should come off a lag in your fuse box. This should only provide power when the ignition key it turn on...

3. 94formy

94formy Junior Member

No relays, it has the 3 port isolation module. Doing some reading and wire chasing, the headlight adapters have A and B sides, depending on what wire on the factory harness is the common ground. I just guessed and hooked them up with side A facing up (side of the clip), I did try flipping over the drivers side to side B but that didn't change anything and I ran out of time. Does that have anything to do with it?

4. twinman326

I don't know why you "flip" the driver side plug?

Try this
    A) flip the driver side back to "A"(head light plug) "B" plug in harness
    B) flip the pass side the same way.

Now if when you check the lights, and you come to find out the "low beam on the pass (truck) is out, flip that plug around to the opposite "B", "A".

C) check the grill connectors. While plug them together you might of bent a pin, or the pins are corrode.

D) there are "two" wires coming out of the mod, section (B). One goes to your parking, and the other goes to your signal. These wires should be on the driver, check them and see they are corrode, or broken.

Check the ground wires to the plow

I don't know what color mod you have, green,white, blue label. But the are different.

This is only a start..Let see what you come up with

Here is a theory on how the mod functions
    3port mod therory.jpg

3port mod therory.jpg

5. UnderPSI

UnderPSI Junior Member

I have the same problem with my 05 Chevy Diesel. Everything works but the low beams. I am not sure what to do either. High beams work fine, turn signals and running lights work fine too. Just no low beams with my MVP

6. twinman326

Just trying to cover all bases here
    3mod two plug?
    3mod/3plug?

On the turn signal plug configuration plug, the color wire do match, green with green, blue with blue?

Stupid question, On the control module, you have "B" harness plug into "B" on the mod, and "C" harness plug into "C" on the control module??

Did you check the fuse coming off the "B" n"C" on the mod?

Either there is a corroded wire, broken wire either in the harness, or in the low beam plow side. Something not making in the plow connector (in front of grill)
    Or there is something going on with the harness plug into "A"(mod), or you have a bad mod, which I don't think so.. Maybe a little more info regarding how this started.. I know there are "two"of you having the same problem..

Starting with the basics; start checking the plug connector (grill connection) to make sure they are clean and making good contact.. CHECK the grounds. Check the plug inside the plow head lamps to make sure they are not corrode and making good connection. Check the "A" harness to make sure it is plug in good into port "A" on the mod.

Here is some info
    plug info A.jpg

pluginfo B.jpg

3mod wires.jpg

wideout sch.jpg

plug info A.jpg

pluginfo B.jpg

3mod wires.jpg

wideout sch.jpg

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  7. 94formy

94formy Junior Member

3 port 2 plug. The turn signal wire on the passenger side was green to green, but on the drivers side it was differen't, I don't remember the color off the top of my head. All the iso plugs are plugged in at the right spot, even messed with each plug a little incase there was a bad connection. I don't think it's at the plow plugs, I clean those and regrease with di electric grease. I couldn't find any fuses in the harness itself but will look more tomorrow. Everything worked as it should when the harness and plow was on my 05' two weeks ago. Maybe I have the headlight plug configuration wrong? I did print off the instructions and wiring diagram but did not test to find the common ground, just tried a couple variations with the headlight adapter harness plugs.

8. twinman326

Try both headlight plugs "B"side, and both plug in harness "A" side.Start from there and see what happens.. Also like I said, check the connector where the plow and truck harness connect...

U said on the pass side "was green to green", what color is it now, or did I read it wrong?
    Most likely the driver side blue to blue??

Look at the wiring schematic there is a "red" square around it showing the fuse holder were there is two fuses..

9. 94formy

94formy Junior Member

if i'm remembering correctly the passenger side turnsignal wire was green as well as the turnsignal wire on the plow harness. Seems to me like the drivers side colors didn't match up but are connected right.

10. twinman326

Just making sure they are right

turnconfig.jpg

I would re-check the connector plug (11wire) and look inside..See if there is a broken tip, or one that is bent.. If you have a 11 plug harness, then there should be 11 pins....

turnconfig.jpg

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  11. 94formy

94formy Junior Member

I'll check all that again. Like I said, it was all working fine 2 weeks ago on my old truck so this kinda has me confused.

12. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

You should start your own thread, posting an issue in a thread that is already in progress compounds the OP's issue. Although some issues are specifically the same, more times then not, they're not even related. This also leads to more beneficial searches in th future.

13. RepoMan207

from Maine

Your configuration should be fine the way it originally was. This doesn't appear to be a configuration issue.

Definitely follow up on the turn / park wire connections, but if they're working properly, then your fine.

Below is the proper electric diagram for LOW BEAM PLOW CONNECTED. We know your high-beams work fine, so it's time to chase down why it's not flipping over on low beam.

First, WHERE is your switched power source tapped into? This is the accessory wire that runs off the end of your control harness in the cab / under the dash.

As Twin pointed out, an obvious culprit would be a broken pin on the connector, or even a broken wire just behind one of the light (11 pin) harness connectors. Also check where the harnesses plugs into the ISO (all three), it is possible to have a bent or broken pin there as well.

[​IMG]

14. 94formy

94formy Junior Member

The reason I am questioning the configuration is because I'm not sure how it was configured on my old truck, the dealership took the harness off. I need to reattach the 12v switched wire to a actual switched source, like a dummy I assumed the cig lighter was switched and it's not. Guess I'll have to run it off something else what did you guys run yours off of? Also the park and turn wires are fine, connected in the right spots and the turn signals and park lights work as they should.

15. RepoMan207

from Maine

Get your configuration to where it was before...when you just didn't have lowbeams plow side.

When your configuration is off, your indication will be only one light not working, or dim lights.

As far as the accessory wire, I used a jump wire off a designated aux. slot...look in your owners manual, or pull the cover off the fuse panel and look for a designated owner slot. Check to make sure it is switched only. Mine is an 02, so I don't think there exactly the same, especially where you have the Duramax, but I'll post a pic shortly

16. twinman326

I would also check the wires behind thee lights (low beam)....Make sure they are connect ( I know stupid statement), and not pinch, or chaffed (casing cut, rubbing against the metal).. If they are connected to the low beams (lights) and the low beam OEM harness, I would pull them apart and check the pins...

17. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I dont want to complicate the thread either, but I switched from an 05 diesel to an 05 gas and have exactly the same problem. There has to be a common link here. If I switch the low beam and high beam connectors behind the truck headlights, it works opposite (meaning low beams work and high dont).

18. RepoMan207

from Maine

I don't know.....I just verified everything, it's the same ISO and Headlamp harness...

19. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Do you have access to the proper wire harness and iso part number? Just to make sure we have the correct parts.

20. RepoMan207

from Maine

29070 for the iso and 28253 on the headlamp harness......but I guarantee you have the right components as they're the same from 99 right on up thru 10.