1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultramount MVP Plus problem

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jjmcnace, Dec 26, 2008.

1. jjmcnace

jjmcnace Member
    from Iowa

This is the second season for my blade and this is the first time it has ever acted up. When plowing 2 days ago I would get to a lot and hit a button on my hand held control and nothing would happen. The plow would go down, but thats it. 10-15 seconds later the plow would start to work again, but was really jerky. Then when the blade was being jerky, I could let off the button on my control and it sounded like the pump was still on. I even turned off the control and the pump still ran. I think it was the pump. This happened 5-6 times during my 10 hr day.

Once the plow was done being jerky and the pump stopped running after I let off a button on the remote, the plow worked perfectly.

Any ideas what this could be?

I am also thinking of adding wings to my blade, are they a real time saver?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Not sure what's causing your other problems but I can definitely tell you that a set of wings are worth their weight in gold.

I have the same plow as you and I just added wings to it this season and I'm more than impressed with how much time they save me.

3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I run wings on 2 of mine and they are great. You CAN'T hammer them into things or they break. You might want to reinforce the back of them.

I think your problem is in the hand held controller. Last year they had problems, that's why I have joysticks.

4. jjmcnace

jjmcnace Member
    from Iowa

Well initially when this first happened I though that also, but thats why I turned off the remote. And the pump as still running. I should point out that the pump sounded like it was running, but the blade was not moving in any direction.

Also with the wings, can you stack snow without them breaking?

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You can stack snow no problem. When your blade is fully angled the wing is pointed straight forward. If you hammer it into a curb you are hitting it straight on so the truck tends to stop dead and it stresses the wing straight back. The guy that damaged the other set was running a set of curbs when he came to 2 that weren't in line. The wing went between the 2 curbs and got stuck. The back of the wing got bent. I have had mine for 250 hours of plowing and they are still perfect.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Replace the motor relay. That should fix your pump issues. :salute:

7. jjmcnace

jjmcnace Member
    from Iowa

Thanks B&B that did it!

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Gotta love those cheap easy fixes.

Smart tip: Carry a spare one as its one of the most common failure parts on a plow.

9. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

Not only carry a new one like B&b said,but before it snows mount the relay next to your other one and smear dielectric grease on terminals to keep it protected. when your first one gets toasted, zip off the nuts and transfer to your new one thats ready to go. (
    no need to jack around mounting it because as all snowplowers do,they pre-plan all summer and maintain there plow equipment before it snows because ther is soooo much free time to do so.) Have a nice day!

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A good idea for under hood mounted motor relays. Unfortunately in jjmcnace case with the MVP Pro Plus it's of course not do-able with the relay located on the pump unit. Barely enough room for one relay let alone two. :cry:

11. jjmcnace

jjmcnace Member
    from Iowa

Just wondering what kind of wings you put on your plow. I bought some Western Pro Wings and they do not fit a 7'6" MVP Plus plow only the 8'6" and 9'6" plows. I had to take them back:cry:

12. GSShelper

GSShelper Member

Do they make a set of wings for a ultramount 7'6'' std plow? i was hoping to get a set for my truck...

13. GSShelper

GSShelper Member

oops i cannot seem to find anything on westerns website execpt for the wings for the pro plus plows

14. mautore

mautore Member

On an '02 Chevy 2500hd, can anyone tell me if the motor relay for a Western Unimount is one of the 6 located behind the drivers side headlight? After reading this post I'd like to keep a spare on hand also.

15. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Nope, those are headlight relays. There should be a 22" long battery cable coming off the positive terminal of the battery, follow that to the motor solenoid.

16. mautore

mautore Member

Once again, thanks crash. I'm still learning!