1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ultramount light wiring.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by tjctransport, Apr 21, 2016.

1. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

does anyone know if the ultramount light module takes power from the headlight switch, or just from the headlight pigtail wires?
    my headlight switch and pigtails burned up after i found a previous owner did some lousy add-on wiring to put auto lights in the truck.
    i finally managed to get the new switch and pigtails and wired them in this afternoon. everything works EXCEPT for the headlights.

not sure if it is from the plow lights, or if one of the headlight feeds is connected wrong.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Kinda lost. What lights aren't working?

3. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

And what ya driving? If memory serves me right a Ford.

4. tjctransport

sorry about that. 02 ford diesel.
    i thought i posted this in the ford section, not the western plow section.
    everything works except for the headlights and fog lights.
    after thinking about it while waiting to get loaded i think i have the hot in and the headlight out wires reversed in the pigtail.
    the switch and pigtails went chernobal 3 weeks ago, and it took until this morning for the replacements to come in because the pigtails were on backorder.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

If you need the pin out diagrams I can get those to you

6. tjctransport

i think i have everything in it's proper place now since swapping two wires netted me fog lights on. so now hte only thing not working are headlights.
    and i think it may have something to do with the lighting modules, because there are three wires in there that are new. red, yellow, and black.
    i guess i am going to have to take a ride up to the western dealer and talk to one of the installers.

7. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

You have no head lamps working on truck, or plow, or both? I would connect the headlamps back to factory wiring and see what works. Not hard to do. Or get the plow wiring diagram and pin it out at the module. See if you have head lamp power going into the module.

8. tjctransport

figured it out. i had the blue/orange (power into switch) reversed with the blue/white (power out to GEM).
    switched them around and now everything works.

i swear that we should be allowed to hunt down the bartstards that mess up wiring systems and kick them very hard in the private parts......repeatedly.

this whole mess could have been easily avoided if someone had not decided to cut the harness apart and connect wires together to give it autolights.
    they were passing way too much current through 18 gauge wires, causing the pigtails and light switch to meltdown.
    i am really surprised this did not happen sooner. i have owned the truck for 8 years.