1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ultramount light tower clamp kit.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Green Grass, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

Does anyone have pictures of what the light tower clamp kit looks like to reinforce the tower?

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

In this link, on page 12 is shows the reinforcing plates they used for a while but I know of no clamp kit per say.
    http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdffiles/66878.09_061510.pdf
    I have often welded a bit of 1/8" flat bar on the front and back sides to cover cracks and save buying a new upper lift frame (light tower). But you shouldn't weld anything on the sides. When you tighten the four bolts the sides need to be free to swell a bit so the front and back actually draw tight. if you do, as some I have seen, a full around tube reinforcing, then the bolts don't actually grab the pegs they go over and they tower remains loos causing other problems.

3. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

from the factory it has the plate on the back. I noticed last night I was missing a lower bolt and there was a small crack. So today I added a 1/4" by 5" long plate to the front. I am guessing that should be good enough.

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The original generation had one plate attached from factory but the later models came with two loose 1/4" thick plates for front and back of both sides. Your upgrade will last a few years I expect as long as u keep them tight.