1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultramount Headlight wiring issue

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by brettz28, Sep 27, 2012.

1. brettz28

brettz28 Junior Member

I bought a one year old western Ultramount this summer. It came off a 2004 Silverado 1500. I am putting it in a 2003 Tahoe. From what I have found the wiring harness is the same. I hooked it up and the plow works great. The issue I have is the low beam headlights do not work. The truck side shut off, but the plow side do not turn on. The high beams work fine.

I actually had this alst year with my 2005 Sierra, but I was using the old relay style system and just lived with only the High beams by adjusting the headlights down.

Anyone have this before? Am I missing something? Is the harness maybe incorrect??

Thanks for the help!

2. JTPlowDog

JTPlowDog Junior Member
    from N/A

GM's that have HB3/HB4 headlamps will be either have positive or negative activating. Meaning, the wiring harness is reversable. Make sure that the common off the truck is lined up with the common on the wiring harness. The same goes with the 12 volts. If you have verified that the plugs and plugged correctly, the output from the low beams relays to the 12-pin harness could be a possibility coming off terminal 87. Check voltage coming of 87.

3. JTPlowDog

JTPlowDog Junior Member
    from N/A

4. brettz28

brettz28 Junior Member

The wiring is reversed, that is the issue!!

Thank you so much for the help!!

One more quick question, am I cutting/splicing the plug back in the opposite way, or is there a trick to getting them out of the plugs?

5. JTPlowDog

JTPlowDog Junior Member
    from N/A

The plugs are reversible. There is an A side and B side. All you have to do is turn the plug around/upside down. There is no key on the plug.

6. brettz28

brettz28 Junior Member

Ahhh yes, now don't I feel like an idiot.

Thanks a bunch!! Changed them both and will hook up the plow and let you know.

I appreciate the help!