1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultramount gland nut install

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by herbert02, Jan 9, 2014.

1. herbert02

herbert02 Member

So I installed a new gland nut with packing on my proplus ultramount because it was dripping fluid out of the lift ram. With the new one installed it no longer leaks, but when I engage the float and manually push down on the ram its not a 100% smooth drop. It kind of stutters when it goes down. Its not hard to push down either, but with my old seals when I would push it down it was smooth motion till it stopped. I tried to loosen and tighten it a little more but made no difference. What's the problem or not to worry?

2. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

sounds to me like you could have a little air in the system you may need to bleed the system and let the air out.

3. herbert02

herbert02 Member

That's what I was thinking, but its not bleeding out that quick at all. How can you tell if the gland nut is too loose or too tight?

4. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

5. herbert02

herbert02 Member

6. herbert02

herbert02 Member

If I keep loosening and tightening the nut will it ruin the seals inside?

7. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The new gland nuts on the pro plus is not a packing style. This gland nut has an o-ring under it. You should just tighten it to the specified torque and leave it. If you loosen it the o-ring will leak. On the old Isarmatics it was a packing nut meaning the tighter you turn it the harder the seal compresses on the ram. With those you had to tighten them up a bit every year. The new ones are not like that any more. As the guys are saying, probably just air and may be a bit sticky because it's new. Just run the unit for a while. The air will work it's way out naturally and the seal will break in. In a while it will be loose and smooth just like your old one.
    It's best to just torque it down and then leave it alone. Turning the gland nut will damage the o-ring and then it will leak from there, below the actual seal.

8. herbert02

herbert02 Member

Good info. Thanks

9. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

Did you install the new nut from the bottom/bearing end of the ram? If you install it from the top, the seals can be damaged by the rough edge of the pin hole in the ram.

10. herbert02

herbert02 Member

Yeah put it on from the s

11. herbert02

herbert02 Member

Split bearing side.