1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultramount Fluid change question (suction filter)

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by GripTruk, Jan 14, 2011.

1. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Hey guys, I'm planning to change my fluid on my ultramount this weekend.

I think I've got the technique down as far as the fluid change, but while I'm at the store picking up the fluid I was wondering if I should I pick up a new suction filter too. I've read that you can clean them but it also looked like it was like a $5 part so it might be worth just putting in a brand new one. And if I'm doing that I'd obviously be pulling off the reservoir, so would I be wise to have a new o-ring for that standing by? I don't know if that's something that handles being removed well or if it is considered an expendable and expected to be replaced each time the reservoir is opened.

Thanks for any advice guys,
    -Jer

2. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Western part # 66763 is a suction filter with the updated bracket to prevent it from falling out of the pump as does tend to happen from time to time. That kit also comes with the reservoir O-ring. It's best to remove the reservoir to change the fluid anyway, that way you can get any moisture/sludge which has collected in the bottom (simply draining it dosen't get any of the crap out of the bottom, and there's always a certain amount in there), clean any debris off the magnet in the reservoir, and install the bracket on the suction filter. Also, you can never seize the screws which hold the reservoir on so they come out easily if you need to pull it back off, or for when you service it next season.

3. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Thanks cubic!

That helps a lot, hopefully they have that kit, sounds like they would and I imagine they'll charge full retail at about $15, which still isn't bad. And the fact that I'm doing it myself rather than paying them to do it will be the real savings, plus it's just more I'll know about my plow. I installed it myself (now on 2 trucks) so I have a pretty good grasp on the electrical and mechanical stuff but I've never really gotten into the hydraulics at all because it's been so reliable. On my old Meyer E46, I totally rebuilt that thing myself so I knew exactly what was wrong if something went wrong. That's the kind of information that's very valuable at 3 AM when something goes haywire and it's still snowing.

Anyway, what did you mean by "you can never seize the screws"?

Also, do you recommend flushing the lines with anything besides some fresh fluid? I'm a little worried to do anything like that, and it sounds like replacing the filter and cleaning out the reservoir and magnet will probably do a pretty good job of getting everything nice and clean.

-Jer

4. cubicinches

I used the wrong term... use a little Anti-seize compound on the screws which attach the reservoir (4 of them) to the valve manifold. The manifold is aluminum, and the screws have a tendency to corrode in place if you don't use something such as anti-seize on them. Be careful when removing them... sometimes they're stubborn if they've never been removed. By removing the reservoir once a season to service the fluid, you always keep the screws lubed, and they'll come out easily in the future if needed.

5. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Ah, gotcha!

After I wrote that I was thinking, could he be saying never-seize as a way to say anti-seize?
    So, I guess you were :)

I will say though, now you've got me worried about busting one of these screws!

-Jer

6. cubicinches

Patience, PB Blaster penetrant, and a little bit of heat if needed... small handheld propane torch.

7. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Think positive Grip Truk..Just believe you won't strip or brake the screw.. Like cubicinches said, little (mild) heat does help...Just take your time.......

8. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

get the new o ring for sure