1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultramount controller constantly needs button pushed to work

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Tom_G, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Tom_G

Tom_G Junior Member
    from Indiana

I have a 9 year old 7'6 Ultramount straight blade with the pushbutton handheld controller.

For the plow to move, I have to continue to click the handheld button (whatever direction). Puch the button, the plow moves a few inches, release the button. Puch the button again, it moves a few inches.......You get the idea I hope. And it seems to move jerky when it does move (maybe thats due to it only moving a few inches at a time.

I've replaced the solenoid. You can hear it run.
    Changed the fluid.
    Pulled pump - screens and filter look good.
    New wiring harness up to where it connects to the handheld (had a couple of suspect wires at one of my 3 plug connections.
    Bled system.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
  2. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

The control is bad go to western and get a new motherboard there like 50-60 bucks I think instead of buying a new control.
  3. Tom_G

Tom_G Junior Member
    from Indiana

I assume you mean the Isolation Module? I have mine disconnected, sitting here in front of me. It says on the outside of it that it contains no serviceable parts.
    Its a 4-plug module made by Douglas Dynamics. Part # 27781.

Is there a way to test this thing while disconnected?
  4. chucksorce

chucksorce Junior Member
    from 07866

The board hes talking about is in the hand held controller, it sounds like the contacts in your controller are worn out and should be replaced
  5. snowplowpro

from NJ

Yea I'm talking about the handheld pull the two screws out and replace the motherbord western sells them but put rubber gloves on you can't touch it with bare hands the grease on your hands will make it not work but it tells you that in the instructions.
  6. Tom_G

Tom_G Junior Member
    from Indiana

Thanks for the help! My dealer let me try a different controller and I still have the same issue.

I'm leaning towards the pump. Thoughts on that?
  7. snowplowparts

snowplowparts Inactive

Were are you getting 50-60 bucks???

Western LIST PRICE $ 294.66 for pc board/keypad only!!!
  8. snowplowpro

from NJ

They sell just the motherboard no keypad I bought one for my old control two or three years ago from my dealer
  9. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

You'd be talking about the same thing. They went up about $100 just last year. check back in your records, it should be part # 56472, and it was probably more like $160-$175 three years ago.
  10. snowplowpro

from NJ

It figures they went up doesn't everything except are paychecks the hard working American has to pay high prices on everything.
  11. watatrp

watatrp Senior Member

Have you checked your plow connections? I had that happen to me a couple of weeks ago. The connection had come loose just enough to make one headlight go out and a couple of buttons were not working all the time.
  12. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

I had a similar problem with my 9' pro plus. bought a new controller and it works fine.
  13. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Check the grill connection. Make sure they are clean and making full contact. Also check the harness for any broken wires. Have someone push a button on the controller while you move the grill connector around. If the plow start to act normal, you know your problem is at the grill connector. Also make sure the grounds are clean and tight.