1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ultramount Basic Control

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by PDF, Feb 14, 2014.

1. PDF

PDF Junior Member
    from MA

Is there any way to fab a basic control system for the plow, just power and lift/angle?

I have an Ultramount 3 plug system on my truck, works fine. I also have fabricated mounts for my tractor and skid steer. Usually I would have to leave the blade straight or hook it to the truck if I want to angle it then mount it on the skid steer. The wiring diagrams all use the isolation module, there must be a way to do it though. It would be great to be able to angle the plow using it on the other machines.

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The three plug system is pretty simple if u can read a schematic. The good part is that there is one wire for each of the three valve coils running from controller to plow. All u need is the controller and control cable. From there all u do is trick it to bypass the isolation module.
    I can't open schematics on my phone but give me a day and I will hook u up.....

3. mishnick

Here are your instructions to make this work on your tractor and skid steer. You will need to buy two control harness cables and two motor power relays with power cables of course. Have a look at this link in page 15
    http://library.westernplows.com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/22373.07_110108_for_web.pdf
    Connect the relay and motor power cables & plug as per normal. Next you need to tie into the large black plug that would go to the headlight harness via an adapter. If you have that adapter (part # 29047) it would be simpler but you can cut the harness plug off. First connect the black / org wire to any good ground. The red / org and solid red wires normally feed power to the isolation module so they can just be terminated (insulate the ends with heat shrink) do not connect to anything. Finally the red / yellow wire must be connected to a switched accessory wire. This will power up the controller and activate the hydraulics on the plow when powered with 12 volts. Be sure to install a 10 amp inline fuse in this wire to protect your controller. You will see that when you activate this wire the controller backlight will turn on and you will need to hit the power button to turn the controller on. Be aware that the controller will be powered any time the ignition is on. So, if you turn the controller on without the plow it will fire up. The result could be, if the controller is on and stuck under the seat with a button pressed, the plow would move the moment you plug it in! So be carful that this thing doesn't cut you in half!!!

4. PDF

PDF Junior Member
    from MA

Thanks Mishnick, That was exactly the info I was looking for. I had a feeling someone had run into this before and would know how to do it. I'm pretty good with wiring but no guarantee I won't have further questions after I pick up the parts. BTW, What is the second motor relay for? Any chance you'd custom build one for me? HA :) I love my Ultramount and will love it more if it can be easily swapped out (and controlled) at different jobs requiring different machines.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  5. mishnick

I suggested a relay and control harness for each vehicle. One for tractor and one for skid steer, that = 2. Moving the motor relay and harnesses would take too much time, it's just not practical. This way all u need to do is mount the blade, connect one plug and the controller.

6. PDF

PDF Junior Member
    from MA

Thanks again, that makes sense now that I look at it. Looks like it will work perfect once I find all the plugs and parts.

7. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

You're mounting the headgear on skid and tractor as we'll?

8. mishnick

As long as the plow is a straight blade you will need two of each of these: control harness cable 26345, adapter 29047 (so you don't have to cut the main harness), battery power cable 63411 (motor relay to plow), battery to relay cable 22511 and motor relay 56131K-2 I expect you will use the same controller in all three vehicles.

9. PDF

PDF Junior Member
    from MA

The tractor and the skid steer both take the same quick tach plate which I fabbed up to use with an old set of mounting shoes. Believe it or not the headgear is useful to point the lights in front of the blade instead of being blinded by reflection off the back of the plow. The skid steer lives at a very tight condo complex which is a nightmare in a truck with a bad turning radius. The part numbers are helpful for tracking these things down, much appreciated.

10. mishnick

You realize that without isolation module you will have no operational lights right?